Is it ok...

Nsghunter

if I left my MZL loaded from 11-8 to 11-14?

I hunted on the 8th, didn't see anything and left the gun loaded. I will be returning on the 14th but wanted to make sure the rifle/powder/load will be fine until then. I didn't want my gun to suffer any damage. I also wanted to make sure that the powder will be fine over the course of a few days.

The gun is a CVA wolf blue/black. the powder is Pyrodex. It is stored in my finished basement. The day I hunted it was a VERY light mist for the last 15 minutes I was in the field. I didn't notice any moisture on the gun at the end of the hunt.

MUP

I have heard that the CVA Wolf in blued steel will rust at nothing. A guy at work has one and this is his only complaint about it. If it was shot prior to loading it should be unloaded and cleaned IMO. If cleaned prior to loading, it could still cause corrosion where the powder is seated I believe.

Mike Belt

I don't know about that rifle but I load mine before opening day and don't empty it until muzzleloader season is over unless I shoot it a couple of times. I've never had a problem. No way I'd leave it loaded beyond using it during muzzleloader. Too many horror stories doing that.

DoubleRidge

Most likely ok.....but the very fact that you are questioning "if" it will be ok is reason enough to take a few minutes....unload.... inspect....and reload.....peace of mind sitting on stand knowing your muzzleloader is ready is a much better feeling than wondering or hoping it's ok.....reload it.

kamml

Best advice is to dump the load or otherwise mark the rifle as loaded. I did neither and was a bit surprised when I popped a cap to dry out the gun the next season. Fortunately I was pointing the gun down the range. My hunting buddy remarked rather dryly that I must have used a very powerful cap that time. Be safe.

Southern Sportsman

Everyone I know loads their ML on or before opening day and hunts with it until they are done muzzleloading for the year. A very light mist should not affect the integrity of the powder charge inside your barrel. If you hunted in a steady rain or it got wet some other way, I'd unload and reload. Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

That said, if in doubt, err on the side of caution. I wouldn't worry about it, but it's not my gun and it's not going to be my hunt. If you're going to wonder or worry even a little, reload it. It's not hard or expensive and peace of mind is worth a lot.

Latest posts