Iowa Zone 4

AT Hiker

Planning on applying for my first Iowa tag this month. I will be deer hunting just across the MO line either this fall or next so I'm going to spend a long weekend this later winter in a scouting trip and figured I would go ahead and put in for a Zone 4 turkey tag and make another trip up there in the Spring.
Anyways, IA has 4 seasons.
April 16-19
April 20-24
April 25-May 1
May 2-20
The statistics show that more people apply for the 2nd season. Anyone hunted SE Iowa or Northern Missouri that could shed some light on a preferable season?
I guess I could time it with a MO hunt (April 16-May 6), I might even try to go over to KS for a Rio (April 12-May 31).
Regardless, jut trying to maximize my time in Iowa for some good action. I've never hunted the mid West in mid April so I'm not sure how the birds are acting.

Any insight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roost 1

You will be lucky to draw a shotgun tag without pref point.
I could not but mzl shotgun tags are first come first serve and that's what i did.
I hunted the 3rd season. Headed over one evening after hunting MO in the morning.
My hunt lasted exactly 35 mins from time i left the truck til time I got back to truck.

AT Hiker

I may be reading the screen wrong but according to last year the only tag that had more applicants than tags was the second season. I guess I need to read up on it.

Iowa is more of an optimization type of hunt for me, albeit a pricey one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwsg76

I have always bought a muzzloader tag just before getting in the truck and heading north. Then just stop at license agent and get a reprint. They have not sold out in recent years.
That way I am not locked into set dates. This way I can avoid tornado, hurricanes, ice storms, etc.

Latest posts