Internet / router question

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
Ok so I haven't had internet at my house in like a year or something like that.
A guy I work with said that Spectrum / Time Warner has a place in the town I live in.

I thought what the heck and I called them. The only number I could find was a 1-800 number and I have no idea where this lady was but she definitely wasn't in TN.
She did say she had family in Bristol though. LOL

First couple of battles were trying to make her understand I don't have a home phone, I don't want a home phone and I ain't gonna get a home phone.
Then I had to explain to her that I had dish for my tv. I don't want cable tv, I ain't gonna get cable tv, no other option is acceptable.
ALL I want and ALL I am gonna buy is internet, PERIOD.

Anyway, she was very eager to sign me up and it would be $49.99 dollars a month.
Then I kept questioning and she verfied there would be a $34.99 installation fee.
No prob, I expected that.
Then I asked about the router deal and she said the modem was free but the router was $5.00 a month.
I said I want to get my own router so she said it would only be $44.99 per month but in January 2019 it would go up $20.00 but wouldn't go up after that.
Then I said something about just going to the store here and she mumbled something or other about a ticket and it would be a $50.00 charge for that...
I'm like hold up lady, just hold everything.
I don't want anything, forget I called and I ain't paying nobody for nothing.
I thanked her and hung up.

She said something about 100 down and 10 up about the internet.
I asked what she was talking about and she said basically this is just really fast internet.
I said ok....... (no clue)

So my question is, if you are getting internet through a cable, what wireless router would you buy?

rem270

rem270

Supporter
I have a Linksys router I'm not using that I'll trade for nine 7mm08 bullets.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
rem270":1jpjjvf2 said:

I bet we could work something out on that!!! :rotf: :rotf:

rem270

rem270

Supporter
RUGER":2pi9xy0z said:
rem270":2pi9xy0z said:

I bet we could work something out on that!!! :rotf: :rotf:
I'll bring it this weekend if you want it. The internet company here provided a router so we didn't have to use this one.

B

BMan

100 down/10 up means the speed down to you will 100MBps (100 meg) and the speed up to the internet will be 10MBps. And yes, that is pretty respectable speed (I'm at 44 up/12down).

Unequal, or asynchronous, speeds are the norm for consumer-grade access using DSL or cable.

Pricing sounds pretty good for that service. Go to spectrum.com and plug your address in, should give you full pricing there.

D

Daniel n

I currently pay 64.99 for internet from spectrum. I don’t or have phone or cable and it has stayed the same for the last 2 Year’s. I have a linksys that was middle of the road I haven’t had any problems with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveB

DaveB

The package is 100 down, 3 up.

You have a monthly limit of 300 gig, which sounds like a lot and is not but that is up to you.

In my opinion, you can spit and use up 300 gig. Your phone will go to WIFI. That means with a little work you can visit with MAN, your wife's 4th removed cousin and even DA and not use up your cell phone minutes. My Wife does some kind of apple crap and she can visit with two of her family at same time, its a freaking convention. You will get no peace with all the yak.

This is satellite connectivity,
http://www.cableone.net/internet?c3api= ... gION_D_BwE

don't they have hard wired cable in Dyersburg? Can't GTK get Xfinity to cut you a deal? go to https://www.xfinity.com/ in upper left corner in very small text you will see xfinity click on it. you want to get a price for internet at your home. They want your home address and zip code.

You should be able to negotiate at the very least a same price as that other package and get hardwire, plus the router from Arkansas, and if you slide by my place I have an un-managed hub you will/may need. I would buy my own Modem....the lease from xfinity is 6 a month. go here and ask GTK which one to BUY it will pay for iteself withing a year
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... isNodeId=1

This router is so cool its unreal...however is not free.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

Don't go wireless on your laptop or home PC, wireless is for phones and ipad type things. You pay for speed, at least hard wired you can actually get it (which you cannot wireless)

D

Deck78

I am using Unlimitedville since I need internet for my business. I fortunately can use the Yellow Plan which is Sprint coverage and so my monthly is $100. Sounds crazy but it is our only internet option in one of the wealthiest counties in the US. go figure!

mr.big

mr.big

we just got a new router,,I will have to ask JW what it is but it works quiet well,,he says he can get internet in the ladderstand in the woods behind the house and across the hayfield in front of the house which is about 280 yards,,

I just ran a speed test on this chrome book and the Ping ,whatever that is,was 4 and the download was 36 and the upload was 34,,my wifes laptop tests the same speeds off the router wireless as it does plugged up with a cord so I dont think the router is slowing ours down any,

that is just the cheapest deal I can get out here in the stix,,,TV,phone and internet,,I could upgrade to 60 or 100 speed if I wanted but what we have works good enough that I aint paying for more speed..

T

TennSportsman

When did cable internet providers put a data cap on their plans? I always thought it was unlimited.....Anyways to answer your question Ruger, Motorola makes a modem and router all-in-one that will work great with your setup. Most companies offer several packages at different price points according to the speed (100mb/s download 10 mb/s upload). This does not mean you will get these speeds! Especially if you use their equipment such as their modem that is $5 extra a month. I had Comcast about 5 years ago when I lived in a city and got the Motorola modem/router after using their piece of junk modem. It sits vertical and bestbuy had it. I'm sure you can find it on amazon. My speeds actually went up with the Motorola compared to using theirs. Sometimes when using other modem routers you have to call a number to connect it. Not a big deal since I was getting better speeds. The information on how to do that was in the manual.

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

We have it through the phone company. I just use a router (netgear I think) that I got at Walmart. It works fine for In The house. It would be nice if I could get it to reach about 120 yards up to the in laws where I could have WiFi up there. I don’t want a lan line either. However, I researched it here back, any just internet service I could get that would work here cost more than having it and a lan line from our phone company.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
DaveB":2pjmyhqx said:
The package is 100 down, 3 up.

You have a monthly limit of 300 gig, which sounds like a lot and is not but that is up to you.
)

If there is any kind of limit I won't be buying it.

DaveB

DaveB

Far as I know, there is a limit/data cap on every consumer-level plan, I think a dedicated IP address is one way to get no cap.

lightsareout

lightsareout

I've had many linksys but will never buy another one; they seem to last a year and then die. I would get one of the Netgears

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
DaveB":1kx1dcsc said:
Far as I know, there is a limit/data cap on every consumer-level plan, I think a dedicated IP address is one way to get no cap.

Very interesting.
I never had any kind of limit with earthlink.
Oh well, I have lived without it for a year I rekon I can keep on. LOL

Bgoodman30

Bgoodman30

I have 100mps fiber with United and the guy told me using their router was like putting a Ferrari motor in a Pinto...

I use a Apple AirPort Extreme and it has done very well and lasted 3 years and my others were good for about 1..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mr.big

mr.big

I had a Linxys router 6-7 years ago,,I got mad and it died

jq2sea.jpg

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter
LOL I remember that mr.big :)