Interesting day

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Went to Martin today and did a little fishing.
I was using my ultralight with a Strike King "Bitsy Minnow" in the crawfish color.

For colored / murkey water this is my favorite color. I lost the only one I had the other day so I went and bought TWO of them so I would always have one.

I caught a bass on about the third cast.
Then on my fourth I hung a good fish and got it all the way to the bank.
It was a crappie and I swear I bet it would have weighed very close to 2 pounds.
Alas, it is just the "one that got away" though.

I moved to another spot to kinda get out of the massive wind.
I started whackin them pretty good then.

After I caught 4 or 5 I decided to cut the lure off and re-tie to make sure I didn't break off since I was using 6 pound test.

On my very next cast I got a bite and set the hook.
Broke clean off and there goes my first lure.

I stood there and couldn't believe it but tied on my extra one that I bought.
VERY next cast, bite, hook set, broke line. :mad:

I had my bait caster with me so I found a crawfish colored crankbait.

This is where it really got strange.
Ever heard the expression "rip their lips off" ?

On about my third cast I got a bite and set the hook.
I missed the fish but when I reeled it in I saw some "grass" on the hook.
Raised it up to clean it off and this is what I saw. :eek:
lips_zpsd4f92ef2.jpg

The fish's entire upper lip was attached. :D

Finally tried a yellow rooster tail and they decided they liked that color.

Ended up with 18 bass and 1 trout.
Every bass was between a pound and a pound and a half, minus two.
One was considerably smaller and one was pushing 2 pounds. ( all weights estimated)

After I threw my 4th fish back a guy from across the "lake" hollered and told me to quit throwing all them fish back, he was on the way with his basket.

I gave him the next 7 bass I caught and he left with supper. :D

Pretty good day.

Oh and went to walmart tonight and got me 3 more lures. :D

mike243

Dang & i thought i set the hook hard lmao.fatherinlaw use to always laugh at me crappie fishing

TN Larry

Sounds like a good day. Couple of thoughts though, you are setting the hook too hard with a crankbait if u did that. You don't have to set it as hard with a crankbait as u do a jig or Texas rig. My hook set with a cb is more of a long swift pull. Also, are you using fluorocarbon? If so, make sure to wet your knot. That might also be why your line broke. I have figured out a method to check for a burn by giving a slight tug on the line after tying. It won't break or weaken if tied right but will break if burnt.

mike243

I have had trouble with knots on bigger hooks breaking real easy.seems like the 1 I used for normal size hooks didnt work very well with larger dia rings.I now use a good swivel on bigger lures for that reason & also to free up the action

jakeway

I've caught trout on the Caney that had upper lip gone and completely healed over. I'll post a pic later; posting with iPhone sitting in Dallas airport.

Outdoor life

Still overall sounds like a good day.

As for the lip getting ripped off--That's easy to do, it doesn't take much to set the hook of a crappie like Larry said. Also I always wet the knot and tug on it to make sure. And like Mike said, those swivels come in handy especially when you have a smaller line tying to a large eyehole.