Inside Combat Rescue

DirtyBear0311

I love this show. Pedro is the unit that took care of us during our 2010 deployment. I also had the privilege to meet one of them on a ship off the coast of Libya. These dudes are the epitome of awesome and are the most talented warriors that I have ever met. They really could do far more than just heal up the guys they get but they do so much from just doing that.

Bambi Buster

I have a valued friend who's a Pedro. He's been there/done that twice. He advises me that the NatGeo series is realistic, though a bit heavy on contrived and manufactured drama.

I concur with and echo DirtyBear0311's high regard for them.

ferg

BMan said:
ferg said:
Unicam said:
"So Others May Live"

They stole that from the USCG, just sayin' ;)

ferg....
The PJ motto is "THAT Others May Live".

The AF feels comfortable using longer words than the CG. :D

They were 150 years late to the game of SAR and all the cool motto's were already taken so they stole ours, they had to change the wording so no one could prosecute them :) :D :D

DntBrnDPig

I've been hooked on this show. And who ever pointed out that the machine guns fail all the time is right on. It's happened in like 3 episodes.

Its amazing to me to see these young kids going through this and exposed to this horrible situation, and for what exactly? It seems more and more that these people are not our friends and likely never will be.

And then to think that the Obama has halted the tuition assistance program due to the 'sequester' is unimaginable to me.

BMan

ferg said:
BMan said:
ferg said:
Unicam said:
"So Others May Live"

ferg....

They were 150 years late to the game of SAR and all the cool motto's were already taken so they stole ours, they had to change the wording so no one could prosecute them :) :D :D
"That Others May Live" was part of the ParaRescue crest approved for use by HQ USAF on 1 June 1966 ( http://www.alaska.net/~jcassidy/pdf_fil ... istory.pdf ).

"So Others May Live" is the motto for USCG Rescue Swimmers who, according to the Coast Guard, did not even exist until after 1983 ( http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/US ... istory.asp ).

The Congressional Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee convened hearings to question why the worlds premier maritime rescue service was unable to assist people in the water. ... Congress, therefore, mandated in the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 1984 that "The Commandant of the Coast Guard shall use such sums as are necessary, from amounts appropriated for the operational maintenance of the Coast Guard, to establish a helicopter rescue swimmer program for the purpose of training selected Coast Guard personnel in rescue swimming skills."

So, whose motto was the copy? :D

Bambi Buster

The flag at top center in this photo was carried by a Pedro team member in his ruck on 22 combat rescue missions in Afghanistan during one month of 2011.

IMG_2863smallllowres_zpsf733ea4b.jpg

ferg

BMan said:
ferg said:
BMan said:
ferg said:
Unicam said:
"So Others May Live"

ferg....

"That Others May Live" was part of the ParaRescue crest approved for use by HQ USAF on 1 June 1966 ( http://www.alaska.net/~jcassidy/pdf_fil ... istory.pdf ).

"So Others May Live" is the motto for USCG Rescue Swimmers who, according to the Coast Guard, did not even exist until after 1983 ( http://www.uscg.mil/history/articles/US ... istory.asp ).

The Congressional Merchant Marine and Fisheries Committee convened hearings to question why the worlds premier maritime rescue service was unable to assist people in the water. ... Congress, therefore, mandated in the Coast Guard Authorization Act of 1984 that "The Commandant of the Coast Guard shall use such sums as are necessary, from amounts appropriated for the operational maintenance of the Coast Guard, to establish a helicopter rescue swimmer program for the purpose of training selected Coast Guard personnel in rescue swimming skills."

Oh please....we were scooping folks out of the water with baskets from the sky WAY BEFORE the dang rescue swimmer program - we had to put that program in place when they stopped funding our flying boats - we had the HU16E and Seaguard HH52A that could land on the water and we'd walk over and pluck folks out -

Rescue swimmers was a way for congress to cover up their mistake in not fully funding our equipment resources like the Albatross and Seaguards :)

So Others May live has been used 'unofficially' since 1790 :)

Bambi Buster

ferg said:
Oh please....we were scooping folks out of the water with baskets from the sky WAY BEFORE the dang rescue swimmer program - we had to put that program in place when they stopped funding our flying boats - [color:#FF0000]we had the HU16E and Seaguard HH52A that could land on the water and we'd walk over and pluck folks out -[/color]

Rescue swimmers was a way for congress to cover up their mistake in not fully funding our equipment resources like the Albatross and Seaguards :)

I have no dog in this argument, but I see what you did there. :grin: :D :)

BMan

ferg said:
BMan said:
ferg said:
BMan said:
ferg said:
Unicam said:
"So Others May Live"

ferg....

Oh please....we were scooping folks out of the water with baskets from the sky WAY BEFORE the dang rescue swimmer program - we had to put that program in place when they stopped funding our flying boats - we had the HU16E and Seaguard HH52A that could land on the water and we'd walk over and pluck folks out -

And "officially" since you copied the USAF. :D

Maybe you guys should have gone into deeper water, rather than staying in so close to shore you could wade out and rescue people. Sounds more like BayWatch to me. :D

All in good fun, ferg.

recurve60#

DntBrnDPig said:
I've been hooked on this show. And who ever pointed out that the machine guns fail all the time is right on. It's happened in like 3 episodes.

Its amazing to me to see these young kids going through this and exposed to this horrible situation, and for what exactly? It seems more and more that these people are not our friends and likely never will be.

And then to think that the Obama has halted the tuition assistance program due to the 'sequester' is unimaginable to me.

X2. I don't know what to think anymore. My head hurts and my stomach is sick thinking about it.

recurve60#

After reading my own post maybe I should explain what I meant.

"For what exactly" I do understand, but I feel if done differently this would all be history and no one would be willing to test our metal again for a very long time.

Bambi Buster

recurve60# said:
After reading my own post maybe I should explain what I meant.

"For what exactly" I do understand, but I feel if done differently this would all be history and no one would be willing to test our metal again for a very long time.

As Churchill said of the Axis powers in WWII "do they not think we will teach them a lesson neither they nor the world will soon forget?"

The brutality the Allies dealt to Germany, Japan and Italy without respite during 1941-45 would turn the stomachs of most Americans today, but it should be noted that not one of those three nations has given us or the world any serious trouble for over 60 years now. See my signature line.

Latest posts