Inground fence

TreyB

TreyB

We are getting a Great Dane, he will be 8 weeks when we pick him up. Gonna stay inside but we live in a neighborhood and don't have a fence up. Anyone have electric fence they use? And would they work on a dog this size (140+ pounds)

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks

Southern Sportsman

Southern Sportsman

TreyB":1zcolij4 said:
We are getting a Great Dane, he will be 8 weeks when we pick him up. Gonna stay inside but we live in a neighborhood and don't have a fence up. Anyone have electric fence they use? And would they work on a dog this size (140+ pounds)

Thanks

We've got a great dane. One of the best dogs I've ever had. He was very easy to train and he visibly gets his feelings hurt if I talk mean to him. I dont think you'll have a problem with the in ground fence related to size. We actually just moved to a new house and have a guy coming tomorrow to give us an estimate for installing one. Where do you live and how big is your yard?

T

turk870

Look into the wireless ones a lot easier to install, and work good.
As far as it working as long as you train him on it you shouldnt have a problem, just have to keep an eye on the battery in the collar.

TreyB

TreyB

Southern Sportsman":252evrv7 said:
TreyB":252evrv7 said:

Thanks

We've got a great dane. One of the best dogs I've ever had. He was very easy to train and he visibly gets his feelings hurt if I talk mean to him. I dont think you'll have a problem with the in ground fence related to size. We actually just moved to a new house and have a guy coming tomorrow to give us an estimate for installing one. Where do you live and how big is your yard?

Dog is a pup now. 3 weeks old. But the father is around 160 pounds. Yard is not big at all. Maybe 1/2 acre total (front and back). Back yard has two sides fenced from the side neighbor and the guy behind us. So all I would need is from the side of ours to join up to their fence I think.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
Have my 2 outside dogs on the Petsafe wireless fence. Best $350 I've ever spent. I'd spend $1000 for it if I had to.

Timber Ghost

Timber Ghost

Keep in mind the fence will not work when the power goes off. Found this out the hard way. After $17,000 in vet bills, I now have a 3 legged dog and an $8,000 fence. Yeah, I said it right, but he is worth it to my wife.

M

Mike Belt

I've posted this before but will again because I think it's funny. I had an invisible fence buried under ground. I had to cut a slot across my driveway to run it. During a storm we threw a breaker on the transformer mounted on a utility pole in the yard. We called the utility company and they sent out a worker. He pulled into the driveway and started to get out of the truck when my 2 labs went to greet him. Big black guy; 250 pounds plus and about 6' 4" and scared to death of dogs. He jumped back into his truck and wouldn't budge. I walked out to speak to him and told him about my fence and showed him where it crossed the driveway. He backed his truck up on the other side of that line and proceeded to get out of his truck and head to the pole. About half way there I also added that if we had power it would be working. I never knew a guy that big could scramble like that.

TreyB

TreyB

rem270":24gazr6q said:
Have my 2 outside dogs on the Petsafe wireless fence. Best $350 I've ever spent. I'd spend $1000 for it if I had to.

How big are your dogs? Have they ever got through it and kept going?

rem270

rem270

Supporter
TreyB":21b5ol30 said:
rem270":21b5ol30 said:

How big are your dogs? Have they ever got through it and kept going?
Ones a yellow lab probably 50-60 lbs. The other is a GSP probably 40 lbs. My lab for some reason has came through it twice when I've been working in the yard but she was getting popped the whole time and was yelping. She got back in quick lol. My biggest thing about my lab is she knows when the collars not on her and has went off to play with the neighbors dogs two times I didn't put it on her. Other than that they were trained on the fence within 10 minutes and won't go within 20' of the boundary.

Also with yours being a Great Dane they are kind of short haired and it comes with 2 types of probes to put on the collar. That longer ones will drill the dog on high power no matter the weight of the dog.

E

eddie c

Mike Belt":2uzsjhfy said:
I've heard they work but it didn't on my labs.

I heard if a female came in season those fences wouldn't stop a male dog.

TreyB

TreyB

Our dog is going to be inside all the time until it needs to go out to drop a load.... lol

Or when we are outside sitting. Other than that hardly ever be out alone.

M

Mike Belt

I worked with training my labs to the fence. They knew it was there but would duck their heads and charge across it knowing they'd get burned. When they were ready to come back in they'd stand on the other side and bark until I'd turn it off.

TreyB

TreyB

Mike Belt":1avm02r7 said:
I worked with training my labs to the fence. They knew it was there but would duck their heads and charge across it knowing they'd get burned. When they were ready to come back in they'd stand on the other side and bark until I'd turn it off.

How far does it shock them when they cross it?

rem270

rem270

Supporter
On the Petsafe I have it doesn't show a distance it shocks them. It just says if a dog crosses it it will shock them for 15 seconds and then stop.

D

dmoser.270

I had one for my Great Dane. I bought the one from Lowe’s and also bought the stubborn dog collar cause it shocks harder. My dog was 200lbs when he died. I trained him as a pup and he did great later in life. Also congrats on the dane. Best dog I ever had.

hillbillyfab

hillbillyfab

I had a terrible time trying to train a lab with my underground fence. I threw that small wire away that it comes with and used #12 stranded in its place. My ole lab would lower his head and run through it. Once they're on the other side it stops shocking them after they get away from it. Mine would run through it and go about his business and then sit on the outside till you brought him back in. He didn't mind getting shocked to get out, but sure as heck wasn't gonna get shocked to get back in. Needless to say my fence hasn't been powered on in a long time.

R

Redwing

Things may have changed since this happened to my neighbors, these fences are giant lightning rods. Both of my neighbors to a hit, followed the fence into the Garage where it was plugged in and proceeded to take out a, dishwasher, both garage door openers, and the A/C Compressor.
This was 10 years ago so maybe they have solved this problem.

TRIGGER

TRIGGER

My Great Dane was terrified of the fence. The fence could be off for a month or more and he wouldn’t test it. In fact I had installed the fence too close to the front of the house and he got shocked in the kitchen ONE time (I then moved the fence) and never entered the kitchen again for the next 4 years which worked out really good because he was known to steal food off the counter. And would absolutely go nuts if a smoke detector beeped because of a dead battery. (The colors beep as a warning before they shock the animal) he wouldn’t come back inside for days afterwards.