Inflation effects on BH209

Wobblyshot1

I don't know why, but as I was surfing the web my thoughts turned to Blackhorn 209, so I clicked over to Hodgdon just to educate myself. As I looked at the image of the container, I notice that label read 8oz. Didn't it use to be 10oz?

I then went to Sportsman's Warehouse....they listed it but out of stock. Their image also showed 8oz but what really got me was the price of $48.99. o_O If it hasn't dawned on you yet, that's nearly $100 a pound!

And I've been complaining about paying nearly $30 a pound for Swiss.:rolleyes:

Attachments

• BLACKHORN8_front__74652.jpg
    BLACKHORN8_front__74652.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

CHRIS WILSON

Isn't that about a $1 a round for powder?
If you shoot 100 gr charges by weight, that's about 35 shots per 8 oz container. At $48.99 per 8 oz container that comes out to $1.40 per shot. Probably a few cents more by the time you figure tax into the equation. It's a good powder but I don't know if I'll buy much more after I shoot up what I currently have. May be going back to Triple 7 unless it to starts jumping up in price as well.

JCDEERMAN

I haven't seen BH209 anywhere in stock in months. I've seen where places said they had it, only to go there and they are out of stock.

Andy S.

You are correct. I spoke to Hodgdon recently and they advised me it should start showing up on the shelves in August and the new bottles would be 8 ounces instead of 10. I recently found three 10 ounces bottles in a BPS for $65 each. Last fall, my local Walmart had several 10 ounce bottles for $40.

Carlos

I bought up every bottle I could find in 2020, was able to pickup 4 of them for $35 each.
Now I'm thinking about getting a Nitrofire.... Could probably make some of my money back on the BH209 if I decide to.

squirrel_hunter

Here i bought some today at Walmart. Price tag said 36.82. The guy rung it up 52.00. I said the price tag said 36.82. I got it for 36.82. Wished i would've bought 2 more for that. Before i got mine paid for. The other guy was fixing a new price tag for it. I went to the other 2 Walmart's. Price tag said 36.82. Cans got smaller price got higher. I shoot the blackhorn up. I am going back to the 777.

Carlos

and the unavailability of magnum shotshell primers
I will never forget the hunt in November 2020. The 10 pt came in trailing a doe at around 75 yards. I waited for him to stop, and pulled the hook. All I got from the Pyrodex/209primer was a psshhhhh-tttfffff-zzzz sound and what looked like a roman candle being fired towards the buck.
I think I would have had time to reload and fire again if there weren't have been all those orange sparks. (Turns out that big bucks don't appreciate fireworks.)

He would have been the biggest one on my wall for sure, pushing 159 I'm guessing.

squirrel_hunter

I never had issues with the 777. I did with regular pyrodex in my hawkin with #11 caps. I got away from pellets yrs ago. I am hoping at the end of season. I will catch blackhorn on clearance at Walmart. I never shot any muzzle loader 209 primers. I have always shot icc or winchester .

Latest posts