Inflatable pontoon boat opinions

casjoker

For those of you who fish the Clinch, Hiwassee, Watauga, and S. Houlston in Bristol what are your opinions of the safety and efficiency of something like Classic Accessories Colorado pontoon boat for those rivers? I have floated the Watauga and Caney in a kayak both rivers seem very reasonable for a pontoon boat with only one generator working. I have only waded the others.

I have tried kayaks and they are too low to the water (I pretty much only fly fish) and the seating position was rough on my back.

Eli103

if only one generator you should be fine. i normally wade on one generator but you should be ok. just watch out for them shallow parts

CATCHDAWG

I had toon for a couple years and it served its purpose but they are a absolute slug compared to a kayak. They do handle whitewater nicely but are more difficult to maneuver and it's a one way trip, you can't paddle back up any current. A decent kayak will have a high enough seat height to fly fish out of and the option to stand when not in swift water. I liked the toon but much prefer a kayak.

Last edited:

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
I fished out of one about twice and hated it. Friend of mine that owned it sold it after having it only a few weeks. I've fished a lot from kayaks and canoes and understand the issue with shoulder and back pain. I broke down and got a. Jackson Coosa and it was a game changer for me. It has multi level seat position and when In the highest position it feels like your sitting in a chair. Very comfortable all day. It is more tipsy when in that position but I've ran class 2 rapids like that but if it gets any more than that you would probably have to stop and move it down. I'd think on the clinch you wouldn't have any issues.

casjoker

I had a nice Nucanoe Frontier but flipped it twice first time ruined a Honda Outboard second time a $500+ fly rod. Just don't see me going back down the kayak path. Really want a frameless raft but big $$$$. The way I fish they are all one-way trips with a shuttle needed at the end unless I am just wading.

Seems like everything is a compromise, drift boats are costly and expensive, fishing rafts are expensive, kayaks for me aren't the ticket anymore, thought I might try the pontoon. I also have a nice 14" john boat with a 20hp which I think would work on the lower Hiwassee and Clinch with 1 generator running.

bigjohn

2-Step Enabled
Have you seen a gheenoe? I fished out of one on the Caney fork with a friend of mine and it worked good . I'm not sure how much they are but may find a used one at a decent price.

Crow Terminator

What part of the Hiwassee are you referring to as the lower? The part around 58 bridge to Hiwassee Island? Or are you referring to the lower part of the trout zones, say Patty Bridge to Hwy 411?

What I refer to as the trout end of it would be from the Powerhouse to 411 but I know people who float it from 411 bridge to the 2 rivers campground too. With just 1 generator or no generator, you would be out of the water quite a bit up there. Wade fishing it is easy then but there are some deeper holes to watch out for. The part down from B&B Marina to Hiwassee Island is what I call the lower end. I run my 14 foot jon on it a lot. Mines just got a 5 horse on it and it does struggle a bit with 2 people in it. Goes great with just me...your 20 horse would be great for that.

casjoker

I am referring to the area from the powerhouse to 411. Looks like some of it down by 411 heading back upriver (rt 315 bridge) would be ok with a jon boat not sure if you could get to Reliance or not. If I floated it I would start at the powerhouse and pull out at Reliance or 411. Is the fly shop by the bridge at 315 still open? I saw an advertisement for tubing and kayaking on the Hiwassee hoping it's not turning into the Cany Fork. Tubing has ruined that river on weekends.

Crow Terminator

In the spring-late summer the tubing and rafting is in full swing on the Hiwassee. The tubing outfitters use the ramp just below the powerhouse. In the summer on the weekends, they stop generating from 7 a.m to around 11 a.m and then kick on two turbines for the rest of the day. Wade fishermen only have that 4 hour window each weekend day to fish and then with 2 tubines rolling, you'd better get out of the water. I think the tubers go from the powerhouse ramp to the outfitters place right there above the Reliance bridge. They run a continuous shuttle bus from one to the other. Thru the week they run 2 turbines nearly every day.

Latest posts