In the Market

Coker

I am in the market for a new/used rifle in a .308. Prefer a walnut Monte Carlo stock on a good used model but am looking at new as well. My first choice would be a 1970's Winchester Model 70 but they are almost as expensive as a new one and hard to find. My second choice would be a Browning A Bolt or BAR. It's been over 25 years since I purchased a new rifle.
I am posting this to get your opinion on today's rifles. Like noted above, I would prefer a good quality used gun that I can "remodel" but am not opposed to buying new. I do not want a composite stock. I prefer the "old school" walnut stock.
Post up what you prefer and why so I can get some ideas before I purchase.

TN Larry

Check out the Bergara Timber if you want a walnut stock. My daughter has one in 6.5 creed and a nice gun.
5840C2A8-E962-48D7-B3FD-CAA353181EC0.jpeg

Dennis

I love rifles and I love nice wood. I'm excited for you because it's always fun getting a new rifle.

Let me ask you a couple questions:
What is your preferred action? You mentioned a bolt action and also a semiautomatic. Which one do you really prefer?

What is your budget? Within whatever your budget is I'm happy to search around and find some options that I would like.

Also, do you like glossy wood or you prefer something like a satin finish?

Coker

I love rifles and I love nice wood. I'm excited for you because it's always fun getting a new rifle.

Let me ask you a couple questions:
What is your preferred action? You mentioned a bolt action and also a semiautomatic. Which one do you really prefer?

What is your budget? Within whatever your budget is I'm happy to search around and find some options that I would like.

Also, do you like glossy wood or you prefer something like a satin finish?
Dennis,
1.Bolt
2. Semi Auto

1. Glossy
2. Satin
I do like being able to see the wood grain "pop"

Budget…. for a rifle that needs absolutely no work, $1500. For a rifle that I'm going to have to "remodel", $5-800

Thanks for your help.

casjoker

IMG_1118.jpeg
IMG_2144.jpeg

I have recently started purchasing wood stock guns, 1st one is a Husqvarna Mannlicher imported for Smith and Wesson. The other is a 2019 Winchester Model 70. Both are 308. I also have a Mossberg Patriot in 300 win mag wood stock that looks better than a $450 rifle should. Next on my list to acquire is a Winchester Modle 70 Featherweight stainless barrel with wood stock. In 7mm-08.

Good luck with your search!

Coker

I absolutely love the Winchester Model 70. That Maple stock looks perfect. Love how the grain stands out above the rest of the stock. Beautiful, just Beautiful.
I do like the grain on the S&W, not as much as the Winchester but still a good looking rifle. Not a fan of the stock to the end of the barrel. Still, a good looking rifle

Dennis

You can get a new Winchester model 70 super grade in either walnut or maple for around $1500. I have one of the Maple ones, and it is pretty. But they don't have Monte Carlo stocks, which is something you mentioned.

A Kimber Super America is around $2000 but you might be able to find one used for $1500. But again, no Monte Carlo stock. And probably the Model 70 is just as good or better at a lesser price.

I think if you could find a used Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in .308 it would be perfect and also around that $1500 price. Those are glossy, nice wood, and Monte Carlo stocked. But they don't come up for sale often.

Then there's Remington. A used model 700 custom deluxe in 308 is a sweet looking gun with great wood and a Monte Carlo stock. But like the Weatherby I don't think it's easy to find. Also I don't know if the price would be over $1500.

For semi auto, look at the Browning BAR or Benelli R1.

Last edited:

timberjack86

View attachment 205490View attachment 205503
I have recently started purchasing wood stock guns, 1st one is a Husqvarna Mannlicher imported for Smith and Wesson. The other is a 2019 Winchester Model 70. Both are 308. I also have a Mossberg Patriot in 300 win mag wood stock that looks better than a $450 rifle should. Next on my list to acquire is a Winchester Modle 70 Featherweight stainless barrel with wood stock. In 7mm-08.

Good luck with your search!
It's really hard to beat the Mossberg patriot especially when you factor in the price. Lots of people are scared to spend $450 on a fine looking rifle. I'm guessing they are afraid something is wrong with it. I couldn't be happier with mine!

Iglow

Coker, if you're gonna do it and want that special gun get a Spanish Mauser k98 action and have it rebarreled in the caliber of choice. You can get a stock from Boyd's in whatever grade of walnut you're willing to pay for then you'll have that one of a kind rifle. Judge Hamilton did that and showed it to me awhile back and it would make your mouth water.
Call Jeff, he did 2 rifles/ rebarreled etc. but he used Rem 700 actions.

Latest posts