Illuminated reticles

Jcalder

Are illuminated reticles worth the extra cost. Other than my crossbow scope I've never had one but I know they're gaining popularity. Scope in question would be a vx3hd 3.5-10 or 4.5-14

backyardtndeer

My Burris signature has lighted reticle. I did not pay any extra for the feature. Cabela's actually sent me the wrong scope. I would not pay extra for the lighted reticle.

Andy S.

I would not pay much extra for one. I currently own one high end scope with illuminated dot in the middle of the crosshairs and I do not use it at all, unlike I previously thought I would. I mainly change the battery every few years for nothing. IMO, illuminated reticles could potentially help ME a few minutes at daybreak, and a few minutes as light fades, but I have not took a shot at those times of the day in years. Someone else with deteriorating eyesight may have a different opinion.

Jcalder

Thanks. There's certain things I don't mind paying for and others I won't pay for. Looks as tho this may be more of a cool factor. I won't say it's not useful but I'll spend my money on something more useful

WTM

not on a deer rifle when all of the leaves are off the trees. like lbl said good glass along with a descent exit pupil is all you need, usually at mid range and lower mag setting.

i recently bought an IR scope for a 22 for when the leaves are still on for squirrels in the bottoms it can get dark quick.

philsanchez76

My Xbow scope has one and it has helped me kill one deer since I've had it. Was literally in the last 30 seconds of legal shooting light and I was in the timber so it was REAL dark. I never woulda found the reticle. I was so excited about it I bought another one for my muzzle loader to use this year. I

taylor j

Are illuminated reticles worth the extra cost. Other than my crossbow scope I've never had one but I know they're gaining popularity. Scope in question would be a vx3hd 3.5-10 or 4.5-14
I personally don't care for them. If you buy good glass to begin with it's really unnecessary. Just something else to break or go bad down the road.

Jcalder

not on a deer rifle when all of the leaves are off the trees. like lbl said good glass along with a descent exit pupil is all you need, usually at mid range and lower mag setting.

i recently bought an IR scope for a 22 for when the leaves are still on for squirrels in the bottoms it can get dark quick.
In low light is probably the only time I can think of actually needing it, if the crosshairs are very fine.

tahtah

I have one with an illuminated dot on my deer rifle. I never thought it would really be of much use except for very low light. A couple of weekends ago I got the chance to hunt feral hogs in GA. Imagine a solid black hog and a thin reticle. I finally thought to turn on the illuminated dot and it made a huge difference! It was definitely more than a gimmick in that instance.

PillsburyDoughboy

For deer hunting? No. For black bear hunting or some pig hunting most defiantly yes. Keep in mind that most scope manufactures...even good companies like Leupold only warranty the electronics for 5 years so there is that to consider. While the rest of the optics may still fall under the lifetime warranty you only get 5 years covered under the warranty. I am not sure its worth the extra money you pay unless you are one that just trades up and out every 5 years.

Forvols

I have one on my crossbow, never used it illuminated. I have one on my 22cal air rifle, never used it. All my 30cal rifles, no illumination. I dont have any shotguns with a scope/red dot.,,,er uhh, but I had a boating accident and dump all my guns in the lake, except for my watergun and cap buster...and one single shot shotgun.

skipperbrown

In low light against a dark background an illuminated reticle can make the difference in the ability to take the shot. I require it for all my scopes. I don't use it much, but when I need it, I need it.