Illuminated reticles

Jcalder

Supporter
Are illuminated reticles worth the extra cost. Other than my crossbow scope I’ve never had one but I know they’re gaining popularity. Scope in question would be a vx3hd 3.5-10 or 4.5-14

backyardtndeer

My Burris signature has lighted reticle. I did not pay any extra for the feature. Cabela's actually sent me the wrong scope. I would not pay extra for the lighted reticle.

Andy S.

I would not pay much extra for one. I currently own one high end scope with illuminated dot in the middle of the crosshairs and I do not use it at all, unlike I previously thought I would. I mainly change the battery every few years for nothing. IMO, illuminated reticles could potentially help ME a few minutes at daybreak, and a few minutes as light fades, but I have not took a shot at those times of the day in years. Someone else with deteriorating eyesight may have a different opinion.

Jcalder

Supporter
Thanks. There’s certain things I don’t mind paying for and others I won’t pay for. Looks as tho this may be more of a cool factor. I won’t say it’s not useful but I’ll spend my money on something more useful

WTM

not on a deer rifle when all of the leaves are off the trees. like lbl said good glass along with a descent exit pupil is all you need, usually at mid range and lower mag setting.

i recently bought an IR scope for a 22 for when the leaves are still on for squirrels in the bottoms it can get dark quick.

philsanchez76

My Xbow scope has one and it has helped me kill one deer since I've had it. Was literally in the last 30 seconds of legal shooting light and I was in the timber so it was REAL dark. I never woulda found the reticle. I was so excited about it I bought another one for my muzzle loader to use this year. I

taylor j

Are illuminated reticles worth the extra cost. Other than my crossbow scope I’ve never had one but I know they’re gaining popularity. Scope in question would be a vx3hd 3.5-10 or 4.5-14
I personally don’t care for them. If you buy good glass to begin with it’s really unnecessary. Just something else to break or go bad down the road.

Jcalder

Supporter
not on a deer rifle when all of the leaves are off the trees. like lbl said good glass along with a descent exit pupil is all you need, usually at mid range and lower mag setting.

i recently bought an IR scope for a 22 for when the leaves are still on for squirrels in the bottoms it can get dark quick.
In low light is probably the only time I can think of actually needing it, if the crosshairs are very fine.

Smokyrider

I find it useful on a ffp scope as the crosshairs are small at low power and can be hard to make out in low light. On a sfp I have not needed illumination as the crosshairs are thicker and stay the same size no matter the magnification.

Latest posts