• Help Support TNDeer:

If you were in the market for new grill...

iowavf

Camp Chef pellet grill/smoker will be my next one. I like a couple features they have that other pellet grills/smokers don't have.

waynesworld

mike243

I love having a different cooker to suit my mood, I have a Weber Performer with gas lighting, a Weber spirit gas grill, A Pit Boss Austin LX , all are great but the last grill to leave here will be the Performer. the pellet grills are great, a Mac is about the best you can buy but a rectec is mighty nice also. pellets make a difference 100% of target wood is the best way, blends can be tasty so don't over look the or dismiss them

Dbllunger

Supporter
Weber gas grill has been great for me since 2002. Typically don't have the time to prep for charcoal so gas is my go to. Charcoal hands down on flavor. Maybe years down the road I can have time for the bricks.

Have you ever tried a charcoal chimney to get your charcoal going. Incredibly easy and usually takes 20-30 minutes to have coals red hot. No charcoal fluid needed and ya don't have to check it every five minutes to see if they're still on fire. I like to get my charcoal started and then start getting whatever it is Im grilling ready to go while the coals are getting hot. Usually by the time I'm ready so are the coals.

You don't have permission to view attachments. Attachments are hidden.

Attachments

K-dub

I switched from using gas for 20 years to a Weber charcoal kettle grill last year. It is one of the nicer ones, and does require a little planning, but at this point I will not switch back. Very pleased. No experience with pellet grills.

Shag

What would you get? Gas, wood pellet, or charcoal?

Any brand you prefer?
Kinda like asking what screwdriver to buy if you could only have one. I’d say propane is the Phillips head. Most common, easy to use and versatile. I use my propane grill with a side burner the most.

But...I wouldn’t be without a simple Weber charcoal grill. Throw a few chunks of wood on the coals and you can do ALOT with the coals and vents in the proper places.

I also have an offset smoker. It gets the least use but the smoked meats that come off it are perfection!

No experience with pellet types.

DoubleRidge

Enjoy cooking on charcoal....wood coals and gas.....never tried pellet grill.

Currently have Broil King hooked to natural gas...no swapping tanks....added cast iron wood chip box for that smoke flavor....love the convenience... especially during the week after work....10 to 15 minutes preheated and ready with hickory smoke starting to roll.

Displaced_Vol

If I had to limit myself to just one cooker it would be a Weber kettle. They’re a tough contender for the most versatile, economical cooker out there. Your answer needs to come down to how much time (and money) you’re wanting to devote to each cook. The kettles need a bit more planning and attention but with practice they can become pretty well set & forget it also. If you’re wanting to do quick week night meals without the ability to smoke anything grab a gasser and have at it. If you do find yourself going towards that route I’ll add that you might want to consider a blackstone (or similar) griddle. If my kettle is number 1 on the depth chart the blackstone is right behind it solidly at #2. Way ahead of the gasser.

THE DUKE

Had a green egg switched to a traeger and have never looked back. The best results with convince. I don't sear I'm low and slow and for the most part, I find it's better flavor and cooked to perfection.

hatnotch

Have you ever tried a charcoal chimney to get your charcoal going. Incredibly easy and usually takes 20-30 minutes to have coals red hot. No charcoal fluid needed and ya don't have to check it every five minutes to see if they're still on fire. I like to get my charcoal started and then start getting whatever it is Im grilling ready to go while the coals are getting hot. Usually by the time I'm ready so are the coals.

Sadly I have had one of these for about 5 years and it is still brand new. I'm going to make a point to get it and the charcoal grill out soon now.

mike243

I have a 36" cowboy grill and no lighter fluid used for it, a electric loop lighter works well. The gas lighting on the performer is the best thing ever for me. I would love to have a 26" performer but they don't make 1 but a lot of folks build their own. 95% of the time the 22" is plenty of space but for a couple rack of ribs the bigger would be easier

jetwrnch

Supporter
You need more than one. Gas for quick after work cooks. Charcoal for when it's gettin real. Weber Q for gas. Don't need a monster. Weber kettle or a kamado style for charcoal. A lot depends on how many you're feedin. I've got around 8 grills and 6 smokers, but I cook year round and sometimes cater groups.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
I concur - I have a gas grill, and I find that it's great for somethings. However if I souvide, I want a ripping hot charcoal finish to it. It can't be beat.
Also, chicken, so good slow and low on charcoal.