IF you use a processor, you might ...

Chickencoop96

want to check with them to see if they are full or not.

H&R in Crossville has announced that they are full until they can catch up.

Add to that, one of the other local processors is no longer doing deer.

Just a heads up!

AND if you process your own, good for you, but we really don't care :D !
I always have to get ahold of Greg Chamberlain in Oneida ahead of time, them boys stay busy during season. but i think after this year i'm done paying for processing. $125.00 is a bit pricey to me lol

Kritter Gitter

Just curious but why do you say that? Also, I am from Greeneville but was away for more than 25 years while I was active military.
So they have been sketchy ever since the son took over the business. My LAST encounter was when my son killed his first buck and doe (same morning). We took them both to Snapp's Ferry and there were maybe 4 other deer laying in the cooler. 4 weeks went by with no call to say they are ready, and I had called twice already. I made an unannounced visit to see what the hold up was. One cooler was locked and said full on it. The bigger cooler had at least 60 deer laying in a pile! 2 of mine was still on the bottom and it stunk bad! They had just got the buck out and was skinning it. I took my deer out and put in the truck to see if they were still good, they were NOT! The skin had a greenish tint, the eyes were about gone and the hair was slipping. I walked inside and grabbed my head and left the deer. On my way out I saw the owner and I stopped to tell him what had happened. He began to tell me that I didn't know s**t about meat and he would just give it to the Hunters for the Hungry and they didn't need my business anyways. I had already taken it to another butcher in Bulls Gap and he said that there was no way he would feed it to his own family, let alone anyone else's. The taxidermist had to even use another hide for my boy's mount. Sorry for the long read.

Kingston1

What if only 2 of the 3 unmentionables applies?
Now I don't know whether wind my a** or scratch.........
We have the same issues out here in SWVA[and it's not just the folks that primarily only do deer].
Have a nearby processor that did both beef & deer for as long as I can remember stop processing altogether last summer.
They were the only processor locally that farmers could take a beef to after various stages of processing[alive, gutted only, skinned, quartered etc].
Leaves one for beef that only takes live and you pay dearly.
Of the two local 'deer season only' processors only one opened this year and they have a pretty crappy rep.
Sure am glad that I do my.....errr nevermind.

utvolsfan77

So they have been sketchy ever since the son took over the business. My LAST encounter was when my son killed his first buck and doe (same morning). We took them both to Snapp's Ferry and there were maybe 4 other deer laying in the cooler. 4 weeks went by with no call to say they are ready, and I had called twice already. I made an unannounced visit to see what the hold up was. One cooler was locked and said full on it. The bigger cooler had at least 60 deer laying in a pile! 2 of mine was still on the bottom and it stunk bad! They had just got the buck out and was skinning it. I took my deer out and put in the truck to see if they were still good, they were NOT! The skin had a greenish tint, the eyes were about gone and the hair was slipping. I walked inside and grabbed my head and left the deer. On my way out I saw the owner and I stopped to tell him what had happened. He began to tell me that I didn't know s**t about meat and he would just give it to the Hunters for the Hungry and they didn't need my business anyways. I had already taken it to another butcher in Bulls Gap and he said that there was no way he would feed it to his own family, let alone anyone else's. The taxidermist had to even use another hide for my boy's mount. Sorry for the long read.
Is that the same business that used to be on Snapps Ferry road out past Parker Hannifin and across the road from Hearthstone Guns? I think they operated as Jerry's Meat Market back then. If so, my family had issues with them (before I joined the military) when they took a beef or hog in for slaughter and packaging.

Kritter Gitter

Is that the same business that used to be on Snapps Ferry road out past Parker Hannifin and across the road from Hearthstone Guns? I think they operated as Jerry's Meat Market back then. If so, my family had issues with them (before I joined the military) when they took a beef or hog in for slaughter and packaging.
Honestly, im not sure about that. When the old man ran it, it was just fine. Since the son took over it awful!

utvolsfan77

Honestly, im not sure about that. When the old man ran it, it was just fine. Since the son took over it awful!
Since your initial post I've checked with my brother because he only lives a mile from there. He knows two guys whose bucks were actually stolen from there during past few years. He echoed what you said earlier - NEVER, EVER take an animal to them for processing!

SSlater

Been to Yellowstone, don't watch Yellowstone, dropped mine of at Rick Hill's in Lenoir City this morning.

Latest posts