If the quail birds don’t need help, then nothing does

Monk74

I'd like to hear from the "lurking government agents " on this site about what the TWRA has done for quail in TN in the last 25 years. I know the TN ag ext will help with planting native grasses, blah , blah, but that's nothing compared to the money they've spent on other species. Especially ducks. It's sad that it's all about what $ comes in, instead of their mission statement. Maybe I've missed something somewhere. If so please enlighten me.

mike243

Quail unlike other animals can't be raised and released and survive, a lot of effort has been put into that, habitat is key and a lot of that has been lost. Twra has spent $ on land and improvements but it's a slow rebuild if at all possible and is more than likely a try to stop the decline , trying to debate lurking twra employee's here is a lost cause, contact 1 of the board members after you have done your home work on what has been done, the twra web site has a lot of stuff to read if you start digging into it and may answer some of your questions and may raise some new 1's.

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
image.jpg

image.jpg

Popcorn

2-Step Enabled
Cookeville, TN Cadiz, KY and random other places
image.jpg
image.jpg

The best I can do from a blind today. The first picture is a hard edge, larger trees, foreste ground with minimal cover. Crops planted to the woods. This is a lack of cover, a lack of habitat and is not good for any game.
The next picture is a soft edge where there is a buffer of shrubs, bushes, weeds and grasses between the field edge and the forested ground. This is habitat. This is good for all game. The third and 4th pictures are better yet. This is why this farm has quail and neighbors do not.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Team Browning

The world will send the quail the way of the dodo. Spending state money on them in Tennessee borders on wasteful. The very specific conditions that they need to able to thrive in are going away. Note that I didn't say "live" in. I said thrive. They can still live in patches. I love quail hunting but I am resigned to the fact that I will have to travel to be able to do it properly.

Planking

Habitat is the main part but the predators are next. I think its up to the landowner to do what they can for habitat. I don't believe some of the restrictions on predators is helping the situation. That could be corrected but it isn't.

That's really my big complaint. There's just so many predators its just hard for any of the ground nesting birds to thrive even if you have done all you can for the habitat. I have to stop trapping on Feb 28 and i can't shoot hawks or hunt coyotes at night when they come out with everything else that eats them.
Im still doing all i can but a little more help is needed and would be appreciated.

megalomaniac

I went fishing on a lake on the middle.of a well (and agressively) managed WMA in south MS this past Sat. While I only caught 3 small bass and 1 crappie, I heard 3 different bobwhites calling around the lake. I'm not sure we will ever have a huntable population again, but you can have a few birds which are self sustaining if you put in a TON of work habitat wise.

My local deer lease in south MS also has 3 different males I've heard this spring. But again, very aggressive habitat mamagement..

I've got 1 small covey on the new farm I bought in TN... but I'm spending a few thousand dollars annually on that 79 acres improving habitat.

I do miss the days as a kid (10yo) walking the hedgerows without a dog and kicking up 4 or 5 covers with my .410... I'd shoot 7 or 8 times, usually get 1 or 2 quail every hunt. Such good memories!

6.5swede

There nothing you can do about farmers taking out fence rows. The natural habitat is gone. Everything eats quail or their nests including turkeys so with the death of the fur market the furred animal numbers keep going up. They traded turkey for quail.

DoubleRidge

There nothing you can do about farmers taking out fence rows. The natural habitat is gone. Everything eats quail or their nests including turkeys so with the death of the fur market the furred animal numbers keep going up. They traded turkey for quail.

Agree that changes in habitat and less people hunting/trapping nest raiders has had a negative effect on quail.....and I've heard the theory that turkey's eat or destroy quail nest....but I've never found a documented study saying this is a common issue or concern? I'm sure it's happened before but of all the challenges the quail faces...I wouldn't think the wild turkey would be anywhere near the top of the list.

RoyalPrudent

Agree that changes in habitat and less people hunting/trapping nest raiders has had a negative effect on quail.....and I've heard the theory that turkey's eat or destroy quail nest....but I've never found a documented study saying this is a common issue or concern? I'm sure it's happened before but of all the challenges the quail faces...I wouldn't think the wild turkey would be anywhere near the top of the list.
Turkeys would sure enough eat chicks if they came across em.

DoubleRidge

Turkeys would sure enough eat chicks if they came across em.

I'm sure it's happened before.....but of all the challenges the quail faces...I wouldn't think the wild turkey would be anywhere near the top of the list of threats......I've heard people suggest (not you) that "turkeys are killing all the quail chicks"....or....."turkeys are destroying all the quail nest".....and "that's why we don't have quail today".....I don't believe this to be so and I have never read one reputable publication that supports the theory...is it possible that it's happened before?....sure....I just believe quail have bigger challenges to overcome than the wild turkey.

splatter

kind of funny i just now seen this. Just last thursday morning i heard two quail, one to the south and one to the east of my house as i was leaving for work have not heard any around here for at least 10 years. Maybe the cat relocation project is working. sss

Latest posts