If regulation changes don't work to increase turkey populations.........

Southern Sportsman

If TWRA can create a MAV unit why can't they create other units like it? This seems a non-issue to me; why not manage turkeys at a local level? It's done for deer (by unit), rabbits (by species), fish (by species or body of water), bear and elk (by zone) etc. Seems to me for turkeys it also makes sense to consider counties that may be dominated by private vs. public.

Every year they survey the turkey hunting population so why not start logging those survey responses by zip code hunted along with their own research study data? Look how swiftly they responded to CWD in terms of testing, monitoring, creation of a new zone, and amending season/limits. Sweeping almost draconian changes virtually overnight.

This isn't a case of "can't" because of know-how it's a case of "won't" for whatever reason(s).
From what I've heard — from the people who would know — turkey management units will be proposed soon, likely at the May F&WC meeting, to be considered for 2023.

Bgoodman30

Positive is right; fewer turkey hunters is better in the current climate.

I've said it before in terms of managing a finite wildlife resource, I've never understood the whole "bring more hunters into the ranks." Akin to already commercially overfished waters how would more fishermen be a good thing without some other limiting factor?

Conservation $.. The more folks that really care about the survival of the resource the better. Especially if they have the dollars to put behind it..

Latest posts