Ideas?

dg7080

Plowed up my little food plot last week and as usual, I find an artifact or something interesting. This time a nice little turkey tail point was laying there and this small piece of hard stone was right near it. I wonder about this thing. It's got the hard outter shell neatly and somewhat symmetrically pealed off all the way around and the bottom surface is flat. There is a slight groove all the way across the bottom. I am thinking it is some kind of shaft cleaner or smoother tool???
20210908_192724.jpg
20210908_192729.jpg
20210908_192806.jpg
20210908_192752.jpg

dg7080

Definitely has a similar shape as turkey tail but I lean towards an adena. Cool piece and I'm jealous either way!
I actually though it might be an adea too.. either way, I'll keep it.. :) But what the heck is the other rock, gotta be a tool they needed at the time.. I almost didnt pick it up, just looked like a rock laying there with mud on it but had something about it that made me stop and check it out..

cbhunter

I actually though it might be an adea too.. either way, I'll keep it.. :) But what the heck is the other rock, gotta be a tool they needed at the time.. I almost didnt pick it up, just looked like a rock laying there with mud on it but had something about it that made me stop and check it out..
I'm clueless on that one but it is interesting for sure

dg7080

Definitely Adena related, I'd lean toward Harrison Turkeytail.

The other could be an abrading stone for knapping, or a grinding stone for processing something.
It does look very similar to a harrison turkeytail for sure. I had not looked that up. First turkey tail type I've ever found around here and I've found a bucket load points over the years.. The other stone is ugly but cool.. Definitely something they used for grinding as you said, but we'll never know for sure what they used it for.. Just glad I picked it up, almost just wrote it off as a muddy round rock that my tractor kicked up. :)

Latest posts