Ideas for Wednesday night boys ministry activities?

duckduck84

duckduck84

I was asked by our children's pastor to take over our Wednesday night boys ministry last Fall. On Sundays we have a pretty good group of kids and we can separate them out by grades, my wife and I have the 2nd and 3rd graders every other Sunday.

On Wednesday nights we have all the boys, usually about six average ranging from 5-10 in age. In years past we did a program called Royal Rangers which was like boy scouts with merits and all. We want to keep some of that intact, but with the wide age range, and inconsistent attendance, some of the merits are just difficult to accomplish.

We have them working on memory verses each month and have good activities for when it's nice out, but I'd love to get any ideas for either nightly or month long activities we could have them work on. Our primary goal is to just help these boys get a good start. Some don't have fathers around and are "community kids" so they are at a high risk for trouble as they get older. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Tapatalk

L

Laserman1

Supporter
Re: Ideas for Wednesday night boys ministry activities?

Why not do activities that boys would normally learn from their dads. How to whittle, make a bow and arrow, slingshot, build a fire, etc. things the boys don't have a man to teach them.

duckduck84

duckduck84

Laserman1":tv1u1r0d said:
Why not do activities that boys would normally learn from their dads. How to whittle, make a bow and arrow, slingshot, build a fire, etc. things the boys don't have a man to teach them.
We try to do as much of that as we can, and have the foundations for it, but the issue we have is the age range. The older boys can do all of that with no issue, but the smaller boys have issues with many of the merits. Plus the liability and safety issues we have to deal with.

For example, last year we did woodworking, firearms safety, shot BB guns, fire craft, first aid, coin collecting, etc. I guess my point is we have those types of things covered, I actually need some of the fun "just letting them be boys in a positive environment" type activities.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter

duckduck84":1fpsm1af said:
. In years past we did a program called Royal Rangers which was like boy scouts with merits and all.

Is that the same one that used to be called Royal Ambassadors?

K

KBotta

At that age 5-10 keeping attention is tough. Have ya'll done pinewood derby cars? Paper airplane Competition? Paper football tournament?
Another idea our children's group did this year was- they made a garden starting in the spring. Sold the stuff on Sundays, and used the money to buy "shoes that grow with you" and sent them to folks in Mexico.
Not sure of your facility (we have a gym) but they are usually running around on Wed. nights playing "something" after a short message.

rem270

rem270

Supporter

We had the Royal Rangers at our church growing up. Was a lot of fun doing the activities they put on. I'm sure you're great with the kids.

duckduck84

duckduck84

RUGER":a32z1ogk said:
duckduck84":a32z1ogk said:
. In years past we did a program called Royal Rangers which was like boy scouts with merits and all.

RA is a little bit different I believe and is Southern Baptist. We are Assembly of God although getting more non-denominational really.

duckduck84

duckduck84

KBotta":2lbhujpz said:
At that age 5-10 keeping attention is tough. Have ya'll done pinewood derby cars? Paper airplane Competition? Paper football tournament?
Another idea our children's group did this year was- they made a garden starting in the spring. Sold the stuff on Sundays, and used the money to buy "shoes that grow with you" and sent them to folks in Mexico.
Not sure of your facility (we have a gym) but they are usually running around on Wed. nights playing "something" after a short message.
We did pinewood derby cars year before last and will probably do again this year as well. The boys love them, but do to inconsistent attendance it's always a mess trying to make sure the cars get done and keeping the boys caught up lol

I like the idea of a garden alot! That could be fun for them.

The gym is kind of a sore spot for me that Im going to discuss with our pastor. We have a gym, but the adults do Wednesday service in the room outside of the gym so we can't use it.

duckduck84

duckduck84

rem270":3hlk73cv said:
We had the Royal Rangers at our church growing up. Was a lot of fun doing the activities they put on. I'm sure you're great with the kids.
Thanks, bud. I try to make it as fun for them as possible. We did a lock in with them in September and they had a blast.

RUGER

RUGER

Supporter

duckduck84":2x5b4bj5 said:
RUGER":2x5b4bj5 said:
duckduck84":2x5b4bj5 said:

RA is a little bit different I believe and is Southern Baptist. We are Assembly of God although getting more non-denominational really.

AHHH yep I see.
You are correct, RA was / is indeed Baptist.

Jcalder

Jcalder

Supporter

RUGER":zhk35kwn said:
duckduck84":zhk35kwn said:
RUGER":zhk35kwn said:
duckduck84 said:

AHHH yep I see.
You are correct, RA was / is indeed Baptist.
RAs are still very active. At least where my family goes. Good luck in this adventure. I understand some of the frustration that comes with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pressfit

pressfit

Preach the word to them, maybe the Lord Jesus will save them. Let them join the Boy Scouts if they want to do a pinewood derby.. remember.. the short time you have with then each week is more than likely the only time during the week they will hear the word..

MUP

MUP

Supporter

pressfit":2wzb6f8a said:
Preach the word to them, maybe the Lord Jesus will save them. Let them join the Boy Scouts if they want to do a pinewood derby.. remember.. the short time you have with then each week is more than likely the only time during the week they will hear the word..

This is a good point IMO pf. I think it's imperative to sprinkle the Word in with any and all activities, not just use the time as a social gathering. I know it's hard to keep their attention at a young age, but this is the time that they're most impressionable as well, and need to be at least hearing about Jesus each and every time they're there during any clas activities, IMO of course. And I'm sure you're doing that dd, just wanted to add this into the conversation. ;)

TNGunsmoke

TNGunsmoke

Our last Children's minister staged a Nerf Wars night as an activity with the kids one evening. If I remember right, it was even Star Wars themed, and the kids had a blast with it. Could even do kids vs adults with it and let the kids win. Have fun and build confidence at the same time, you just can't make it too obvious that you are letting them win. A mission project of cleaning up flower beds, emptying trash cans, or other things around the church that need doing, or helping out an elderly member with some things that they can't necessarily do them selves would be something good, but not necessarily fun. Telling tall tales/true stories around a campfire could be great too, especially if you come up with tales derived from bible stories and "updated" to modern lingo so it isn't obvious at first that it is a bible story, you can let the cat out of the bag at the end during discussion.

T

TurkeyBurd

Teach them to be able to identify different trees and vegetation, change a tire, build a fire, use a safety strap, sharpen a knife, fall a tree, load and unload a boat, set a scope, field dress/clean different animals, throw a baseball, tie basic fishing knots, balance a check book, filet a fish. At some point they will use all of these.

K

knightrider

pressfit":xjtyz59v said:
amen!!!!! not enough church going on at church, its not a social gathering,babysitting club, or a business. its worshipping God spreading the word seeing people saved!! people say we don't have power like we used to have or services like we used to have etc, wonder why? when the church became a meeting place full of worldy things and not Godly things, I wonder why its changed?

duckduck84

duckduck84

Some good ideas guys, keep them coming!

For anyone wondering if we are actually doing anything church related with them, yes I assure you we are. Every night is started with the pledge of allegiance then we have a devotion time with them. During that time we read the Bible, discuss the point of the story, and then take prayer requests and pray. They also have a monthly memory verse they have to recite at the end of the month and explain its meaning to the leaders.

The primary focus is on God, but at the end of the day we are planting seeds with these kids and 5-10 year olds aren't going to sit for an hour sermon on a Wednesday night and retain it. We are trying to get them active in the church so it sticks when they are older.

K

knightrider

duckduck84":28unjydc said:

For anyone wondering if we are actually doing anything church related with them, yes I assure you we are. Every night is started with the pledge of allegiance then we have a devotion time with them. During that time we read the Bible, discuss the point of the story, and then take prayer requests and pray. They also have a monthly memory verse they have to recite at the end of the month and explain its meaning to the leaders.

The primary focus is on God, but at the end of the day we are planting seeds with these kids and 5-10 year olds aren't going to sit for an hour sermon on a Wednesday night and retain it. We are trying to get them active in the church so it sticks when they are older.

please don't take my post as directed negatively at you it wasn't meant that way I'm just speaking in general, lots of the focus has been taken off the word and put on the world, it's a great thing your doing with those children they need positive influence

duckduck84

duckduck84

knightrider":3e1pt9ls said:
duckduck84":3e1pt9ls said:

please don't take my post as directed negatively at you it wasn't meant that way I'm just speaking in general, lots of the focus has been taken of the word and put on the world, it's a great thing your doing with those children they need positive influence
Not at all, I actually agree with everything you and the others wrote. It's a problem that alot of churches are facing. I was a victim of it personally and was why I left church in my late teens and early 20s. I work with some amazing people who really want these boys to know God, know his Word, and have fun while doing it.