I was on track for my first 50 straight

infoman jr.

I shoot a clays league at the local club throughout most of the year, and last night was our last night for skeet in the current skeet & trap night league. I've shot quite a few 25s in skeet over the last few years, but the 50 has eluded me. Throughout the first round, I was seeing the bird extremely well, and my #9 1oz reloads were hitting them hard. The second round continued in the same manner. Then I choked. Big time.

I missed my last target. 49/50. Sickening.

Last edited:

GUNNERX2

It's been 40+years since I shot competitive skeet and it's funny how it all comes together suddenly. The second year I shot, 1st year shooting all 4 guns, I shot a 99 in 410 missing low house 5 on the last box then an hour later broke 100 straight in 20 ga (my 1st 100 straight ever). I went on to break many 100 straights in all 4 guns before I gave up the sport but I'll always remember that weekend when it all clicked.
It will happen to you as well, just keep at it.

Chaneylake

It's been 40+years since I shot competitive skeet and it's funny how it all comes together suddenly. The second year I shot, 1st year shooting all 4 guns, I shot a 99 in 410 missing low house 5 on the last box then an hour later broke 100 straight in 20 ga (my 1st 100 straight ever). I went on to break many 100 straights in all 4 guns before I gave up the sport but I'll always remember that weekend when it all clicked.
It will happen to you as well, just keep at it.
What years did you compete?

Chaneylake

1st registered targets was in 1973 and last was in 1977. Shot tournaments in TN,KY,MS & TX (World Championships).
Thank you.
I started in 87 and quit in 98.
Tn, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, Georgia, Missouri, Texas, Illinois
Never fired a 400 x 400.
Some 399's and 498's(doubles on Friday)

GUNNERX2

As to the OP's post, station 8 can be a booger. As tight as it is, it's a clean miss or we used to say, Alabama Talcum Powder.
As things can go terribly wrong in any clays game, I dabbled in trap after giving up skeet and did very well. Shot a few tournaments and came home with silver trophies. I won the club championship at handicap with a 98 as a novice but then went on to the state championships and shot a sterling 51. It was pure misery.

Steyrhunter

I can relate. I dropped the first bird out of the house at the State Championships one year with the .20ga, and then ran 99. Cost me a championship. Keep your head down, it will come together

REN

been there a few times and it was always the last target. Funny enough the first time I did straight 50 I wasnt even paying attention to the score. Was shooting a trap tourny with my son and was spending my mental thought watching him and coaching him. Then at the break the guy was like "Congrats, that was 50 straight" haha. Wish he wouldnt have told me cause the last 50 I was then thinking of it and ended up missing the last bird at 75.

im on a straight 100 in trap now which I may or may not ever make. Have had a few 98's and 97's but I just start to panic at the 90 mark lol

GOHUNT

Unfortunately a similar occurrence may happen again before you hit the 50. Just how it happens. Still, that's great shooting. I've hit 49 a couple of times myself too but not 50.
Believe it or not, my son went from 25/25 a few times to a 75/75 which in the same round went on to 99/100!

rukiddin

For the same reasons some dislike skeet, I loved it. Same presentation every single time. My biggest battle was the idiot in my head. Ran 80 straight the very first time I shot my new 725 sporting and that dummy in my head started talking crap and I dropped 4 targets in the final 20. Lol

Latest posts