I think it its gone

Snake

I enjoy going, just no where to do so much anymore and that kinda makes one lose interest

Maybe I should limit out on does and a scraggly looking buck and call him. 😂
i bet he would come and never offer again.
What I know about Dustin , he'd come running with a grin on his face. He offered and in my book he'll come !

Snake

Thought I was the only one that the desire was leaving . But with that said been three times three deer have died . Two bucks by my hand and a doe by deer assassin. Thought I'd go back and shoot some coyotes or a doe but the interest just ain't there. Hadn't even went to my lease I'm on in Lawrence Co. Oh well we all know one day that will be the last day you hunt.

TheLBLman

It's all about the balance.
And for me, it has become more about quality than quantity, and think that way about just about everything.

Deer hunting has become more about enjoying the journey, which has the added benefit of providing my family enough venison each year.

We need to just fish more.

"We" need to do more hunting AND fishing!
I need to do more fishing, you need to do more hunting!
:)
There's more to hunt than deer; there's more fish to pursue than bream.
Variety is the spice of life :)

Last edited:

MUP

The very first time I went to the woods this season, opening day rifle. Abundantly blessed!
output_image1700396439817.jpg

Chickenrig

It is just growing through the different seasons of life. Things that used to be important and we were healthy enough to do can take a backseat to new things in life that have re-focused priorities.
These days I make hunting easy so I dont have an excuse to not go.
The stands are set up and all I have to do is walk in, climb the ladder and sit there.
If it were much more work than that I would probably bail out of hunting.
Just life's seasons passing
Oh how right you are my friend

TheLBLman

I'm also on stand this beautiful morning. 24 ft high in climber, edge of pines, overlooking hard woods bottom. Hearing & seeing all kinds of wildlife.

Some would describe my activity this morning as "forest bathing", with the addition of being a hunter-manager.

I know the odds are low, any particular morning, that I'll see a particular buck I might want to take. But once in a blue moon ....

Sure is relaxing out here this morning. Renewing my good spirits.

That said, I do wish these crows relentlessly pestering an owl near me, would just shut up their loud screaming cawing & go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Wildcat

I'm also on stand this beautiful morning. 24 ft high in climber, edge of pines, overlooking hard woods bottom. Hearing & seeing all kinds of wildlife.

Some would describe my activity this morning as "forest bathing", with the addition of being a hunter-manager.

I know the odds are low, any particular morning, that I'll see a particular buck I might want to take. But once in a blue moon ....

Sure is relaxing out here this morning. Renewing my good spirits.

That said, I do wish these crows relentlessly pestering an owl near me, would just shut up their loud screaming cawing & go elsewhere.
You still using a climber??? I'm too old for that.

TheLBLman

You still using a climber??? I'm too old for that.
I don't understand how anyone can say that.
Most of my hunting is done from a climbing stand.
I find it very easy, and perhaps safer than using ladder stands.

Once mastered, anyone can easily climb & descend near effortlessly, and so quietly, any nearby deer just think you're a large raccoon. And my climbers never emit any those deer-spooking loud metallic "popping" sounds so common with metal ladder stands.

Yes, packing it in adds another 20 lbs to what you carry,
and must be very slow & careful to unpack without allowing metal to touch metal.
That's really the only thing more "physically" demanding about a climber.

I do have to allow extra time,
but only a few extra minutes are needed.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I don't understand how anyone can say that.
Most of my hunting is done from a climbing stand.
I find it very easy, and perhaps safer than using ladder stands.

Once mastered, anyone can easily climb & descend near effortlessly, and so quietly, any nearby deer just think you're a large raccoon. And my climbers never emit any those deer-spooking loud metallic "popping" sounds so common with metal ladder stands.

Yes, packing it in adds another 20 lbs to what you carry,
and must be very slow & careful to unpack without allowing metal to touch metal.
That's really the only thing more "physically" demanding about a climber.

I do have to allow extra time,
but only a few extra minutes are needed.
BHR and a ruptured bicep tendon did me in.
Miss my Goliath.

Chiflyguy

I'd honestly prefer to fish now if I had time
That's my take on it.
I've killed 3 deer in my life.
I hunt for the meat. I got my one in a lifetime 3 years ago.
Haven't fished since the beginning of muzzleloader.
Got some new crank baits and it's about time to start trolling for walleyes.
I love to deer hunt but love fishing more.
Maybe take a week off.

DeerCamp

Sounds like you have a great setup.

Maybe consider taking a youngster or someone new to hunting and try and help put them on a good deer?

I try to take a newbie every year and it is more fun than actually hunting, watching them get the shakes and buck fever. It'll remind you why you started hunting in the first place/.

DeerCamp

Some people just lose the fire. Welcome to the world of being a non hunter. No big deal. My dad is 82 and still mad at em!
I'm finding myself less interested in hunting this year. But then I got excited when I went to Oklahoma this year.

I realized that it's because I know there just aren't any bucks I'm excited about on the properties I hunt in TN. I run 12 cameras total on 5 properties and haven't seen a deer over 135" in years. We are covered up with deer in general, but few mature bucks. Pretty disappointing.

Latest posts