I think it’s over

Big Pop

It has been silent for the past five days here, but I heard one gobbling about a quarter mile from the house at 1:30 this afternoon. Set up first time and he answered me twice. I moved up and ran into this. He was 52 inches long. Kinda put a damper on my enthusiasm after that.
That must have been tricky measuring that snake! JK!

Bgoodman30

It seems to be winding down around here.. I rarely see them strutting anymore unless its a perfect morning like Monday.. They gobbled good for us Thursday morning but went into feed mode by 8am.. We saw three gobblers but they would only pop into strut for a second then go back to feeding.. Little interest in the hen call.. I think around here we got a couple good mornings left but when those 90 degree temps hit next week might hear the fat lady...

poorhunter

2-Step Enabled
When there any toms around in the holler, I regularly hear them till June and have to watch them strutting in the neighbors field pretty much every day.

Saw a good bunch of them about 2 miles from my house yesterday evening. Two long beards and 4-5 jakes with 3 hens.

WilcoKen

Wilson Co this morning: 2 different toms gobbling. Watched one after he got down gobbling good til his hen flew down to him. She dragged him away so I circled wide and caught up with him. He gobbled probably 30 times just over rise from me within 40 yards. Saw his head once. He moved on with a hen. I've stopped at 2 birds this year but could probably have a good chance of getting my son on that tom this afternoon. Thats the main reason i went this morning--to see how birds are acting. Hoping to get my son on one since he's home from school this weekend.

Levee Jumper

I went to a fresh private farm this morning and landed on a solo tom hot off the roost. 100 gobbles later he was dead at 6:45 at 15 yards. Like I've said before, the hard part of Turkey Hunting is having un-pressured turkeys to hunt.

It's very comparable to a bream bed that has been torched for two days and one that hasn't been fished at all. Way too much stock is put into the skill of killing un-pressured turkeys IMO.

In all reality the most skill in turkey hunting is figuring out how to get away from others on public, and obtaining permission to hunt private farms lol.

megalomaniac

I went to a fresh private farm this morning and landed on a solo tom hot off the roost. 100 gobbles later he was dead at 6:45 at 15 yards. Like I've said before, the hard part of Turkey Hunting is having un-pressured turkeys to hunt.

It's very comparable to a bream bed that has been torched for two days and one that hasn't been fished at all. Way too much stock is put into the skill of killing un-pressured turkeys IMO.

In all reality the most skill in turkey hunting is figuring out how to get away from others on public, and obtaining permission to hunt private farms lol.
Congrats!

The hardest part of turkey hunting is just finding one (pressured or not). It's a LOT harder to kill a pressured bird, but even a pressured bird is more fun to hunt than hunting no birds at all.

Levee Jumper

Congrats!

The hardest part of turkey hunting is just finding one (pressured or not). It's a LOT harder to kill a pressured bird, but even a pressured bird is more fun to hunt than hunting no birds at all.
True but fishing is more fun than a solo gobbler that if afraid of a couple clucks.

catman529

Congrats!

It's not hard to find one at all if you got a tank of gas. Finding the unpressured birds or permission can definitely be the tough part. Even the pressured birds will act right sometimes, but those moments don't come by every day.

rem270

Still hearing one across the road in TN where I hunt on that side. I've heard him every day this week when I step out about 6am. He's one that has the unique gobble you can tell it's him each time. One minute I wish I had another tag but then again I'm glad he'll be there for next year, hopefully. There were at least 4, possibly 5 birds and I killed 2 there so hopefully I'll have a good flock for next season.

deerfever

Heard more gobbling the last two days than all season. Birds are down to one or two hens. Had two with one hen blowing the woods down yesterday. Had to be somewhere at 9AM! Do people not know better than to schedule stuff on Saturday morning during turkey season! What's worse is I eased out and went . Lol

SES

I was wrong saying it's over. The season is over, but they're still going.