I gotta ask Tacoma owners

Kimber45

Kept my 19 for less than a year. Just was not enough “truck” for the $ for me. My oldest son has a 19 and he’s had; RAM 2500 Diesel, multiple Z71’s, yet prefers the Yota.

Omega

You are right, they are terrible, worst truck ever...will grudgingly take over payments on your lousy truck, let me know when we can get together so I can pick it up. :D

Honestly, I have owned three, an 81, 92, and now a 2010, and maybe a 22 or 23 next. These trucks just get the job done, perfect size and much better than the comparable offerings, especially the Rangers (had a Mazda B2300, a clone), worst transmission I owned.

NAjoe

My son and i drove one when we bought his f150. He's 6-3 and about 250. Very uncomfortable. Felt like you were sitting in the floor. Knees pushed up under your chin. Noisy ride. They may be reliable, but sure didn't seem comfortable to me.

Gravey

Supporter
I’ve had 4 over the years (95, 97, 03, and 07) and liked them all except the 07. I traded it after a month because it felt like a tin can. Went to a F250 and never looked back. They’re good in that size and market but can’t compare to a full-size truck. That’s like comparing apples and oranges. It all comes down to personal preference. My Tacomas used to get 19-20 mpg’s and my 22 F250 diesel gets 21-23 on the highway and 19-20 in town.

tacoma2002

Supporter
Solid little rigs. Mid Size truck with a V-8 gas mileage and compact sedan cabin space.

But I've owned a blue million of them. Currently have a 2005 with 325k and a 1999 with 465k. Stock engine and transmission with no notable engine or transmission work done to them.

I prefer a full sized pickup for traveling or hauling, but for knocking around and commuting you can't beat them. Low maintenance and they're pretty capable off the pavement.

All that being said...I'm not sure I'd pay the asking price for a brand new one. The 3.5's don't have the get up and go the 4.0's have and the newer transmission tends to "search" for gears out on the highway.

Overall solid little units.

Snake

Supporter
Get a Tundra ! If you want reliability and comfort and when I was pricing them the dang Tacoma's was almost as high ! Thought oh well have to pay in gas mileage... my Tundra got 16.5 mpg last time I checked with it mostly driving around town , the Silverado I had which I liked alot got about 13 mpg . We have a four runner 2011 I bought almost 4 years ago I paid as much for it as a 2018 Nissan Pathfinder but the Toyota rode a whole smoother than that Pathfinder plus the last Nissan Pathfinder I had issues with the tranny no recalls and a manufacturer mistake ! The Four Runner's resale I checked several months ago was higher than what I gave for it , so was the Tundra's . The Four Runner gets about 23 mpg with the Eco engine which takes getting used to I'll admit . I'm a GM man but Toyota gets my money now ... grandson has 2002 Four Runner with almost 400,000 miles on it and still drives good with a strong engine . Did have the tranny rebuilt other than that usual maintenance . Reliable and resell on Toyotas !!! Comfort got to go large . New Tundra's are ugggly so is the Titan in IMO. Dodge best looking truck , Ford doing better , Chevy still good looking trucks . Dodge the reliability and resell used to be the killer for me but have been told they are better my cousin bought a new Ram nice truck . Ford broke me early in my driving career and thought the trucks were but ugly but like I said they are getting better wouldn't mine owning one if someone gave me one 😂 keeping my 2012 Tundra and yeah its WHITE ☺ will keep the Four Runner as well drive them until they break !!!

Last edited:

Rackseeker

I had a 02 Tacoma and had 329k miles on it when I sold it. I bought a GMC 2500 and was never comfortable in it. I sold it when truck market got stupid and made a big profit. Then went and bought a new 2021 Tacoma. I like the truck but the fuel mileage does suck for the power it has.

eightpointer

To each their own I guess. I had a 89 a bought new...they werent Tacomas then. Sold it with 285000 on it. Dumb move. Bought a full size Dodge. Problems. Bought a 4 door Dakota. Problems. Bought a new F150. It was a decent truck but after about 100000 miles started having issues that I thought costly. Ive got a 09 Tacoma 2WD with a topper Ive got over 120000 on it. And a 18 Tundra 4WD crewmax. Only got about 36000 on it. Both with zero issues so far. REliability is gonna be your answer from most all Toyota folks.

fullstream

Supporter
I had 3 Tacoma’s and loved em, had to get a bigger truck to pull a boat. Got rid of last one in 2018. My son just bought a new one and I had a momentary lapse of judgement as diesel has gotten so costly and I don’t haul a lot anymore. I went and looked at a new one and the salesman parked it next to my F-350. Good god it was much smaller than I remembered lol. Needless to say I still have the Ford.

ImThere

You are right, they are terrible, worst truck ever...will grudgingly take over payments on your lousy truck, let me know when we can get together so I can pick it up. :D

Honestly, I have owned three, an 81, 92, and now a 2010, and maybe a 22 or 23 next. These trucks just get the job done, perfect size and much better than the comparable offerings, especially the Rangers (had a Mazda B2300, a clone), worst transmission I owned.
I love to let you make payments to me for it but Enterprise would be pissed! And we’d both get in trouble.

ImThere

Don’t get me wrong guys I’m sure it is reliable as Toyotas are. I just know what demand there is for them and I was a little taken back!!

mike243

Son has the dodge 4x4 with diesel and air ride, fine truck till the weight hits, all kinds of bells and whistles go off. My F150 pulled same load no problem lol. We deleted the add in crap and that was a few KK with new exhaust , it runs great and really good fuel mileage , still it's a Dodge, he has a old 3/4 ton with a Cummins in it he has over $15000 in just the motor so who is crazy lmao

iowavf

I know a lot of people have them and I'm sure they're a nice truck, but I can't get over the looks and won't own one.

Crow Terminator

We test drove them in 2021 and I didn't like it either. The one I drove was a V6 and it seemed to bog down when trying to get it up to 70 mph to merge onto the interstate. We were surprised at how much we DIDN'T like it. Went to the Ford lot and drove the Tacoma clone in the new Ranger and it was a world of difference. It's just a V4 but it will get to 90 QUICK. We love it...except for the back seats sure ain't for riding. More for storage than anything.

BlackBelt

I have 2 Taco's sitting in the driveway right now.
The reason?
Because I am a guy.
Is it uncomfortable on long trips? I don't know. I'm too busy thinkin "man" things.
Is it loud on take-off? How would I know? Im jamming out super loud to my classic rock "man" tunes.
Does it get good mileage? I sure hope not. I leave mileage debates to skinny-jeans wearing, man bun having, finger nail polish wearing so-called "guys" driving their tesla's or hybrids to their facial skin conditioning appointment at the Pamper House.

Outdoor Enthusiast

I have a 2007 Tacoma that I bought new. It’s the prerunner so no four wheel drive. I wish I had bought a 4x4 but at the time didn’t think I could afford it.

I still drive it. I am about to hit 387,000 miles.

It rides rough as a cob. It has no bells or whistles. But it’s reliable and I haven’t had a payment since 2007.

I would like a larger and nicer truck, but I have to get to 400k miles before I feel like I got my monies worth out of the Yota.