I don't remember

TRIGGER

Shot a doe this morning at 27 yds. I know the yardage and remember pulling my bow back but do not remember anchoring, setting my kisser, selecting my pin, leveling/centering my sights or releasing. It all just happened and resulted in a toxic broad head creating a 3/4" hole through the heart. Am I alone by saying I let adrenaline take over when the time comes to release a shot? Bow or gun it's always the same. I practice quite a bit with weapons but one day I'm afraid this is going to cause me problems.

MUP

I tend to be on the other side from it I think Trigger. I find myself breathing hard initially, but really concentrating on where the crosshairs are and holding steady, then squeezing the shot, and likewise with a bow, then it all breaks loose the split second the shot is taken. Of course this is how I see it in my minds eye, could be daydreaming all that crap, who knows. :D

TRIGGER

Also I always have a hard time tracking because I never remember exactly where the deer was or even where it ran to after the shot. Man I get tore up. I purchased the iPhone holder for my bow so I could video the shot to try to help out a little.

HuntFish714

My first bear and my first buck were like that. I was only at bout 3/4 draw on both when I hit the release. Both were dead on threw the heart. Only way I can explain is like instinct shooting I guess. Without thinking bout it ur body knows best.

Bone Collector

TRIGGER said:
Shot a doe this morning at 27 yds. I know the yardage and remember pulling my bow back but do not remember anchoring, setting my kisser, selecting my pin, leveling/centering my sights or releasing. It all just happened and resulted in a toxic broad head creating a 3/4" hole through the heart. Am I alone by saying I let adrenaline take over when the time comes to release a shot? Bow or gun it's always the same. I practice quite a bit with weapons but one day I'm afraid this is going to cause me problems.

I do this often. it has caused me a problem or two, but usually it works out.....

Boll Weevil

Another way to look at it (and this is a good thing) is muscle memory. We practice the shooting process countless times so that in a sense we don't have to THINK about it at the moment of truth...it's almost programmed. ID target, range, pick a spot, draw, anchor, release, follow through. It might not seem like you went through the protocol but if you zipped an arrow through her heart, you definitely went through the progression (even though you might not remember doing it).

Nice job on the doe!

farmertom

TRIGGER said:
Also I always have a hard time tracking because I never remember exactly where the deer was or even where it ran to after the shot. Man I get tore up. I purchased the iPhone holder for my bow so I could video the shot to try to help out a little.

This me.....I never can tell you where a deer was standing when I shot. I'm almost 30 and have killed several deer but it never fails if I have to track one the first thing I do is call my dad to help.......and the first thing he asks is where was it standing. And I go uh um in the woods I think lol I also never never remember aiming at deer

Boll Weevil

catman529 said:
I remember every shot but have trouble slowing down sometimes.
I actually wrote SLOW DOWN on a tiny slip of paper and taped it to the back of my riser such that I can see it when I draw. Heeding that tiny message has become as much a part of my process as picking a spot or anchoring. It works for me.

Latest posts