I Blew It

LanceS4803

Missed a chance at not 1, not 2, but 3 mature deer at the same time.
This is my first year to concentrate on mature bucks, and also doing it with a bow.
I found their bedding area and have pics of them using a dried stream bed to travel to food, but didn't want to get that close just yet. They always travel just after dark, but I was hoping to catch them going early. I have a wide 8, tall even sided 10 and a lopsided 10 (deer on the left below) using the stream.

Last week I cleared shooting lanes for my climber overlooking the stream bed. Tonight, for the firsttime, I went in there and set up, no issues.
15 minues before the end of legal shooting light, I saw a new buck, a non-typical about 50yds away going towards a field. I hit the grunt and he turned and started towards me. Right after that, I saw the lopsided 10 about 20yds from me going behind a clump of trees. I was trying to decide wether to draw while he was behind the tree or wait until he passed. Made the mistake of checking distance one last time and didn't noticed the wide 8 coming down the creek back at 20yds. Busted. He head bobbed, stomped once and jemped into the brush. The other deer went back up the creek. I waited 30 more minutes until packing out, not busting anything on the way. I should have never rechecked the distance (18yds).

If these were the typical does, I wouldn't be worried about going back to the same tree. Will these bucks continue their pattern and do you think I am good to go on Fri afternoon at the same spot?

Climber

That's awesome that you had that many shooters around you at the same time! I would let it cool off a bit and then maybe give it another shot if the wind is perfect for an all day sit.

LanceS4803

X-Tennessean":bcoohndb said:
You will be fine!
All these bucks running together tonight?

Yep. That is what surprised me, I thought they would have separated by now.
When I hunted this morning, there was no sign of rut activity. Two groups each of 6 does/fawns, business as usual. I did see a young 8pt come through, but not in any big hurry.
This is south Giles County.

LanceS4803

CDUB":375cgxvj said:
90% of the mature bucks that have busted me I've never seen again. But you gotta try to find out....

I'm counting on his buddies not getting the hint. The one that spotted me never snorted or threw a fit, so maybe...

jb357

Give it some time before you go back in. From what I've seen once a buck gets boogered in an area they consistently travel they won't come back for a few days. They'll wind check the area to make sure the threat is gone then resume using it. If you're in there and they get a whiff of you it's over for them in that area. Other bucks may still use it though.

Mike Belt

I'd guess that you haven't disturbed them to the point of abandoning that area and by them all traveling together the rut hasn't busted them up. Once it cranks up you may not find them in that area again for a while. Hunt it while it's hot!

smalljawbasser

i blew one the other day myself. i still can't talk about it.

i'm not sure they purposely avoid an area, as much as they just have a much larger travel route than we think. and given the time of year it is, that's even larger and more erratic. from what i've seen on my cameras over a 2 year period, every 3-5 days i have certain deer come through. never do i have a buck that comes by the same camera every day, or even every other day.

this time of year, one whiff of Doe (that i think they can smell from a LONG way away) and they are gone on a 10 mile detour.

LanceS4803

smalljawbasser":33w6qcvs said:
i blew one the other day myself. i still can't talk about it.

This made me smile. My wife asked if I was feeling any better, and I said No.

I told her I guess it is better to learn these lessons at home rather than on a once in a lifetime type hunt. But in the end, I hate learning these lessons.