• Help Support TNDeer:

I 40 Bridge Shut Down

Wildcat

I lived there and learned to hate the I 55 bridge. With the I 40 closed I can't ever imagine the mess they are going to have. It will back up from the bridge to cover all the highways and streets in the whole area.

clwg97

We have guys at work that come form the Arkansas side and cross the bridge. They all left 2 hours early today and still barley made it on time.

Ahuntin1

I get home at tell my bride that the new bridge over the Mississippi River is closed.
She says. Which one is the new bridge?
I stand there somewhat flabbergasted and say. The New Bridge! Her. Well which one is new. I had to show her a picture. She says it’s not new. I said it’s newer than the old bridge. Her. When was it built? I said I don’t know for sure but I was a kid when they were building it. So I looked it up. It opened in 1973. She says she was 10 years old. Side note. She’s not from around here. So I got to wondering just how old is the old bridge. It was built in the late 40’s. When I looked up the newest old bridge info online it said the locals call it the new bridge. Guess I’m a local. 😬
It’ll be the new bridge until they build a newer bridge then we will probably call it the the “older new bridge”. It’s been called the new bridge all my life. That’s just the way it is.

Wiley

10k big rigs cross it a day. No telling how much money is on the barges going up and down.
The tonnage of freight/cargo per day has got to be unimaginable. This will add more cost to the consumer as the carriers make up the added mileage/fuel costs. Perfect storm for the democrats to stand with their collective boots on our necks. Remember, nothing ever goes back 100% to what it was after one of these events.

DaveB

I understand all trucks headed west or north by west are being re-routed to Dyersburg. IF i lived in D-burg I would set up a beer stand I mean Kool-Aid and sell it by the styrofoam cup at $5.00 each. Since we are talking around 10,000 trucks a day the money could be enough to get 4 X-bolts and 6 boxes of ammo.

All others are headed to Haywood for chicken.

A fireman friend of mine said this must not be a crack. It must be much more serious to stop all traffic even barges. Do not be surprised at what comes out of the 10:30 AM news update. It could be the bridge needs massive repair/rebuild. If one piece breaks there are others that must be heavily stressed.

The road to D-burg is gonna be kinda rough for the rest of 2021 I think. Add hotdogs/burgers/fries to your roadside vending location and you might garner enough to get Ford GT. Hmmm.......where would the best place be for a vending stop? I got an idea.

Tenntrapper

I understand all trucks headed west or north by west are being re-routed to Dyersburg. IF i lived in D-burg I would set up a beer stand I mean Kool-Aid and sell it by the styrofoam cup at $5.00 each. Since we are talking around 10,000 trucks a day the money could be enough to get 4 X-bolts and 6 boxes of ammo.

A fireman friend of mine said this must not be a crack. It must be much more serious to stop all traffic even barges. Do not be surprised at what comes out of the 10:30 AM news update. It could be the bridge needs massive repair/rebuild. If one piece breaks there are others that must be heavily stressed.

The road to D-burg is gonna be kinda rough for the rest of 2021 I think. Add hotdogs/burgers/fries to your roadside vending location and you might garner enough to get Ford GT. Hmmm.......where would the best place be for a vending stop? I got an idea.
A better idea may be to set up some porta potties...charge to use them. I'm sure sitting in traffic that long, somebody is going to have to go.
Maybe we could go in as a team...one selling Krystal gut bombers...then a mile down the road, the porta potties.. 😂

shane37110

Barges? I haven't seen that they stopped river traffic.

Yup, found it!

Last edited:

Cache

Gravey

So this is the bridge right beside Bass Pro? If so that sucks. Have to go to Arkansas in the next month and daughter heading there Friday for the summer to work.

Last edited:

TAFKAP

Only news out of them is that it's a crack in the underside portion of a truss-beam. No bueno for sure

Lots of commerce between TN & AR will be dramatically affected.

Andy S.

All navigation traffic (towboats, barges, etc) has been halted. From the feedback I am getting, the issue/failure is "not good". TDOT, AR DOT and private engineering firm Michael Baker are onsite flying a drone to inspect the bridge. From my understanding, the dead load from the bridge alone at the failure location exceeds the traffic load.

Dodge Man

Supporter
Memphis, Tennessee - Today TDOT officials held a press event to talk about the I-40 Hernando DeSoto Bridge closure. The inspection is still underway, and could take a couple weeks to complete. A timeline will be shared as soon as we have one. Continue to use alternate routes.
Arkansas Department of Transportation.
C862068E-6177-4FB7-B6A0-95139F61DBF3.jpeg

Latest posts