I’m still disgusted/Catoosa

DRSJ35

Got in the stand before daylight this was on Friday morning. Around 9:30 or so I start dozing off. I'm fighting it real bad. But at some point I couldn't anymore. After 30 minutes or so I'm awakened to all kinds of crunching and a big pop to my right. Well it startled me and I jerked my head up. Only to see a extremely nice 10 point like 10 yards. My gun was laying across my stand with barrel pointed the opposite direction. I cocked the hammer back and tried to lift the gun. And boom he bolts out after the apparent 4 doe he had been chasing around me in my sleep. He was a huge buck body and rack. Sleeping in a tent with cold weather with a buddy heater was rough. Hope to have a camper next time. Maybe a man can get some sleep. Lol

Spurhunter

Sleeping in a tent with cold weather with a buddy heater was rough. Hope to have a camper next time. Maybe a man can get some sleep. Lol
Depends on the tent. For 3 years my son and I spent many weekends in a canvas outfitter tent. It didn't matter how cold it got, a buddy heater kept it toasty warm. Then I bought a camper. It was great for hunting, but most of the year it sat idle, because I couldn't pull the boat and camper to the lake and taking 2 trucks seemed silly. I recently sold the camper and will be buying another canvas outfitter tent.

Tennessee Lead

Did the buddy heater not keep the tent warm? I'm asking because I'm thinking of trying it. Normally we drive the hour each morning from home.
This year we stayed at the holiday inn. We've always wanted to camp at the Wma but never have.

DoubleRidge

Did the buddy heater not keep the tent warm? I'm asking because I'm thinking of trying it. Normally we drive the hour each morning from home.
This year we stayed at the holiday inn. We've always wanted to camp at the Wma but never have.

We always set the alarm for 15 or 20 minutes before we needed to get up to cut the buddy heater on to warm the tent up a bit before crawling out of sleeping bag.....in a regular tent the buddy heater does good to take the edge off while getting dressed.....but the second it's turned off it's cold again with all the heat going out roof.....now the canvas outfitter wall tents is another story.....they hold heat much better than the standard light weight tents..... something else off topic that helps make my camping experience more enjoyable was sleeping on a cot verses sleeping on the ground.....much easier to get dressed in the morning sitting on a cot and I sleep better plus you have floor space under the cot for storage...... another thing I've heard is the buddy heater works really well in the shooting house or pop-up blind on those really cold mornings.... something so far we hadn't had to worry about in 2020.

Ski

We always set the alarm for 15 or 20 minutes before we needed to get up to cut the buddy heater on to warm the tent up a bit before crawling out of sleeping bag.....in a regular tent the buddy heater does good to take the edge off while getting dressed.....but the second it's turned off it's cold again with all the heat going out roof.....now the canvas outfitter wall tents is another story.....they hold heat much better than the standard light weight tents..... something else off topic that helps make my camping experience more enjoyable was sleeping on a cot verses sleeping on the ground.....much easier to get dressed in the morning sitting on a cot and I sleep better plus you have floor space under the cot for storage.

Very good advice and perspective. I've been considering a tent and this just might have tipped the scale toward buying one. Thanks

DRSJ35

Buddy heater did a great job. What we did was buy some heavy duty black plastic. And put it over the tent. Then put the rain cover that comes with the tent over that and tied it off. Problem was it would either be so hot your toes were dripping sweat or freezing. As it don't come on and off by temp. You have to manually turn it on and off. Turn it on before you get up and before you go to bed was beautiful. I've slept awhile lot worse. But that was 20 years ago. Oh and lay your clothes out of the container when you fire up the heater in the morning. If not it'll feel like your stored them in the freezer before put them on. Lol

DRSJ35

1 more tip if your gonna do the tent thing and can't afford a canvas I looked into them. But couldn't come up with the cash right now. Buy a propane refill fitting that go's from your bbq tank to the small propane tanks. It'll save you a fortune. You'll thank me if it's cold and the buddy heater is wide open. Lol

LLL's Dad

Got in the stand before daylight this was on Friday morning. Around 9:30 or so I start dozing off. I'm fighting it real bad. But at some point I couldn't anymore. After 30 minutes or so I'm awakened to all kinds of crunching and a big pop to my right. Well it startled me and I jerked my head up. Only to see a extremely nice 10 point like 10 yards. My gun was laying across my stand with barrel pointed the opposite direction. I cocked the hammer back and tried to lift the gun. And boom he bolts out after the apparent 4 doe he had been chasing around me in my sleep. He was a huge buck body and rack. Sleeping in a tent with cold weather with a buddy heater was rough. Hope to have a camper next time. Maybe a man can get some sleep. Lol
I had a bad problem snoring and it's very difficult for me to stay awake in my really comfortable climber. I have been taking a 5 hour energy (Or WalMarts very inexpensive off brand) with me in the stand. As soon as I begin dozing I will drink about half of it. If I drink the whole vile it gives me the jitters and I can't hardly sit still. I don't have to pee every ten minutes like I would with coffee and its easy to pack in. That does the trick for me. I have enjoyed listening to the woods wake up for a couple of years now.

Safari Hunt

Plastic will hold moisture in the tent. Our tent has a vent in the roof. We have camped in cold weather. Solution- good quality sleeping bag and put some type of covers over the sleeping bag. A ground pad is also helpful under the sleeping bag.

Rackseeker

5 hr energy

I had a lease in KY a few years ago. I couldn't leave home to go up there until around midnight on Friday. I stopped and got a 5 hour energy. I drank it when I pulled into the property and had a Sundrop and honeybun for breakfast before heading to my stand. I will never do that again, I thought I was going to have a heart attack. But was very alert until about 10 am. LOL.........

Sam Davis

I have canvas civil war A tents . They are not as expensive as wall tents. I can fit 2 cots and a large plastic tote in it and still have room. I have slept comfortably in temperatures down to around 20. Ground cloth is important. 0 degree cabelas mountain trapper bag is fantastic.

Spurhunter

1 more tip if your gonna do the tent thing and can't afford a canvas I looked into them. But couldn't come up with the cash right now. Buy a propane refill fitting that go's from your bbq tank to the small propane tanks. It'll save you a fortune. You'll thank me if it's cold and the buddy heater is wide open. Lol
You can buy a hose and filter and just run your buddy heater off your propane tank.

Shanman

Hey brother, at least you got to see one. I hunted Saturday there and only saw one hind quarter sneaking through at a distant.
Please don't do the plastic over the tent, you'll wake up to frozen condensation inside, been there done that. Tents need to breath.

Latest posts