Hvac went out

ImThere

ImThere

At least you have a place to retreat to!! Hopefully they’ll get it changed out quickly!! 18.5 years you got your money’s worth and then some!

ttf909

ttf909

Supporter
Bought our house with a 25 year old trane unit and it worked for us for another 5 years after that. They don't make them for longevity nowadays.
Really like the mini splits. Only thing is if the power goes off they don't restart themselves .

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

Expect to see at least a 30% reduction in your power bill. Units now are much more efficient than 20 years ago. Keep your coils clean and change the filters frequently and you should be good for another 20 years. Good luck!

Snake

Snake

Bought our house with a 25 year old trane unit and it worked for us for another 5 years after that. They don't make them for longevity nowadays.
Really like the mini splits. Only thing is if the power goes off they don't restart themselves .
If mine ever goes I thought about going the mini split route , do you have to vent those if they use gas or are all of them fully electric . Trying to get away without duct work .

M

Mcboom

Expect to see at least a 30% reduction in your power bill. Units now are much more efficient than 20 years ago. Keep your coils clean and change the filters frequently and you should be good for another 20 years. Good luck!
I wouldn’t hold my breath. Units now are more like 10-12 year life and I bet the savings on the utility bills are hardly noticeable. Not as much savings as people want to believe

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

I wouldn’t hold my breath. Units now are more like 10-12 year life and I bet the savings on the utility bills are hardly noticeable. Not as much savings as people want to believe
Mine dropped 30% when I replaced my 10 seer with a 15.

MUP

MUP

Supporter
My upstairs unit got a 2# drink of Freon yesterday…… $600 and change
I think I'll stick with a couple of window AC units. I can replace them annually and still would come out cheaper, not to mention the cost of the central unit added in to boot. 10,000-12,000 BTU works just fine. :) Propane heat for the winter. I'm good.

R

RyanM

Just get a couple of starter capacitors for the condenser unit. My system is 6 years old and the starter cap went out, I could get the system running by manually starting the fan spinning with a screwdriver, so at least we had some AC. The AC tech was saying that the new caps only last 4-5 years, so we had a good run, but I call BS on that. Those caps should last the lifetime of the system, but then again nothing is built to last these days.
I went ahead and bought a new cap and will have it on stand by if it ever goes out again.
Been thinking about adding a mini-split to my office. It's the "bonus" room above the garage and is hot in the summer and cold in the winter, pretty sure the insulation is also sub-par but don't feel like pulling off the sheetrock to replace it.

SSlater

SSlater

Mini splits flat out work and are extremely efficient. Key is the drain is installed properly and kept unclogged.

We just had a Goodman 3 ton installed. We bought this house without AC. I guess it failed at some point and they took it out and didn't replace it. Wish I could find someone who knew what they were doing. It's struggling in latest heat wave. If I can't find someone to give me a straight answer or show up, I'm going to put in a mini split.

Kimber45

Kimber45

Mini splits flat out work and are extremely efficient. Key is the drain is installed properly and kept unclogged.

We just had a Goodman 3 ton installed. We bought this house without AC. I guess it failed at some point and they took it out and didn't replace it. Wish I could find someone who knew what they were doing. It's struggling in latest heat wave. If I can't find someone to give me a straight answer or show up, I'm going to put in a mini split.
Hmmm my neighbor just installed one for me at my shop/office. It’s draining well based on what I see. Is there something special I need to be doing in terms of keeping the drain clean?

Kimber45

Kimber45

Hmmm my neighbor just installed one for me at my shop/office. It’s draining well based on what I see. Is there something special I need to be doing in terms of keeping the drain clean?
Our Goodman is a 3.5 ton, and I’ve resorted to keeping all the blinds closed + closing off a bedroom we don’t use(I did leave it with about 20% open vent). Since I did that our Goodman has been great. We put this one in 2 yrs ago.. old one was 15 yrs old, I got a great deal on a scratch n dent unit with full warranty, so I put a new one in.

SSlater

SSlater

Biggest thing is check it and make sure it's draining. Check as often as possible. If it clogs and fills up with water, it will ruin the circuit board. That's what happened at last shop I worked at.