• Help Support TNDeer:

HVAC question

Dbllunger

Supporter
I am completely ignorant when it comes to HVAC so excuse me if I don't use the proper terminology but I'll describe the issue best I can. The air handler for my HVAC system is in the basement of my place. It is surrounded by a sheet metal "pan" so that when condensation collects it won't flood or damage the floor. Inside the pan there is a water pump to pump out excess water. It runs through the flexible tubing up the basement wall and then through the wall to the outside of the house. Went down there this morning because the house was cold and found that the pump was running but no water was being pumped out and the air handler wouldn't turn on. There was water in the reservoir that needed pumping but it wasn't emptying I know at least enough that that is what is supposed to happen if condensation builds up. I feel like the problem is the flexible tubing that exits the house was frozen up and not able to pass water? Is this something someone has seen before and do ya have any suggestions for insulating or replacing the tubing with something else so that it wont freeze?

I'm sure I could figure out something that would "work" but curious if any of our local pros had ever dealt with this and might have some good suggestions.

KPH

I going out on a limb by not being there. Most likely you have a high efficient furnace witch will make condensation. Most likely the tube running outside is frozen up. Again not being there to see how it is installed I can't give a permanent fix but you are going to have to thaw it out. And it may have already thawed out with the day warming up. I have been on many service calls where this was the problem many times just repositioning the tube where it goes outside will fix it, on rare occasions heat tape is required.

Primary

Primary

TNDeer Assistant
Here are some related products that TNDeer members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TNDeer’s partner,Primary, where you can find links to TNDeer discussions about these products.

waynesworld

As KPH said you may have to reposition it. Is there a nearby drain it can drain to like maybe a floor drain or laundry drain. The pump may need to be replaced if it was running trying to push water through a frozen hose. If you take the hose off will the pump move water?

ImThere

Sounds like you don’t have enough “Fall” so the pipe runs empty on the outside of the house where it can freeze.

Dbllunger

Supporter
As KPH said you may have to reposition it. Is there a nearby drain it can drain to like maybe a floor drain or laundry drain. The pump may need to be replaced if it was running trying to push water through a frozen hose. If you take the hose off will the pump move water?

I will see if the pump will move water with the hose unattached tomorrow when I get back to Rock Island. Staying the night in Murfreesboro tonight. Unfortunately no floor drain in the basement and the washer/dryer is on the main level of the house but I will try repositioning the tube like you and KPH have suggested and see if that helps. Really appreciate the suggestions and advice.

Dbllunger

Supporter
Sounds like you don’t have enough “Fall” so the pipe runs empty on the outside of the house where it can freeze.
Makes sense and I can certainly extend it down hill several feet outside the house if that is what you're saying which I think it is. Right now the tubing just extends 2 inches or so outside the house.

Dbllunger

Supporter
I going out on a limb by not being there. Most likely you have a high efficient furnace witch will make condensation. Most likely the tube running outside is frozen up. Again not being there to see how it is installed I can't give a permanent fix but you are going to have to thaw it out. And it may have already thawed out with the day warming up. I have been on many service calls where this was the problem many times just repositioning the tube where it goes outside will fix it, on rare occasions heat tape is required.
I will try to repositon and maybe even extend it further away from the house. Thanks for the help KPH.

ImThere

Makes sense and I can certainly extend it down hill several feet outside the house if that is what you're saying which I think it is. Right now the tubing just extends 2 inches or so outside the house.
I wouldn’t extend it outside the house but maybe raise the pipe on the inside so it starts going downhill inside the house

Dbllunger

Supporter
I wouldn’t extend it outside the house but maybe raise the pipe on the inside so it starts going downhill inside the house
Ahhh....I see. Let that water get a runnin start before it hits that cold air on the other end and gravity prevents it from pooling up where it's cold. Clever.

Mag

We have been in our new house for just over 4 years now and the HVAC system is in the attic with line that drains outside using gravity. Our first Winter caused the pipe outside the house to freeze up just like yours. The fix was to redirect the lines internally. Short of that I would have needed to put the electric pipe wrap on it.

Latest posts