HVAC Question: Duct Cleaning?

younggun308

Getting the smell of moisture when A/C kicks on. Previous owner had put a grossly undersized filter in the vent when we bought it, and we did a good bit of renovation that sent some dust down the vent. Don’t want to let mold get going. Is duct cleaning a waste of time or actually worth it?

But one of these days I might crawl down there to see if there’s a tear in the duct, first, and to rule out that the moist smell is simply the odor of the crawlspace hitching a ride.

reliable

Duct cleaning is very beneficial if done properly by a legit company. For an average single system duct system, expect to pay $500-$600
Whenever you have excess dirt, dust, etc..and you add moisture (coming from a tear in return duct sucking in moist humid crawl space air, or normal condensation coming off of cold coil)..all in a dark environment…then you have the potential for mold growth.
Especially if you have had recent construction and poor filtration. Take look deep inside the return box, or remove a few supply vents and reach deep into the boot and see what you find.
Legit duct cleaning is for real. So are premium air filters..

RobDooley

Presently having similar problem. When AC kicks on I can smell basement/crawl space. I had a guy clean my ducts out a couple of years ago. You would not believe the stuff that he got out. However, I do believe the brush he used tore the duct work in spots and sucking air from crawl space and moving through duct work, vents and house. He kind of told on himself when I last spoke to him about the smell. I did not have a clue about the brush tearing duct work until he told me he had got a new machine that forces air...because the brush was bad for tearing ducts. I have called him three time and I talked to him but he wont show up. Having an inspector coming to inspect it all.

Carlos

A friend of mine asked me this recently. He was about to spend $500 to have his ducts cleaned. I replaced his entire duct system for $500 labor and $700 in materials. It took me almost 2 days (rough, dirty, crawl space work).
I'd get an estimate for cleaning, and also one for replacement.

hammer33

In my experience flipping houses, usually that smell is from a torn duct, Poorly sealed air return, or nasty stuff down one of the floor vents. If the duct is torn, have that run replaced.

younggun308

In my experience flipping houses, usually that smell is from a torn duct, Poorly sealed air return, or nasty stuff down one of the floor vents. If the duct is torn, have that run replaced.

Yeah, I think I’ll go room by room and figure out where there is smell and where there isn’t. Will give me a sense where to look for any tears

KPH

If the ducts are in the crawl space go under and look them over real good. If you have a package unit have a good company come out and clean the indoor coils. If the duct has came apart you very well may need to clean the indoor coils.

Omega

So I had mine cleaned, and sealed, late last year. My wife's co-worker had told us her bill had gone down after she had hers sealed, so we said what the hell. Have to say, it did seem to be stronger than before the sealing, but doesn't seem to saving us any money so far. They took out a whole bunch of dust, leaves, and other debris from the ducts though, and cleaned out the return area, which was real filthy, and had a bunch of leaks. There seems to be less dust, but that may just be perception and wishful thinking.

Jon54

We Bought a 30 year old house 4 years ago. We just had our ducts cleaned and a UV bacteria gizmo installed. The crud they got out of our ducts was discussing. Since, the air simply feels and smells cleaner.

RobDooley

A friend of mine asked me this recently. He was about to spend $500 to have his ducts cleaned. I replaced his entire duct system for $500 labor and $700 in materials. It took me almost 2 days (rough, dirty, crawl space work).
I'd get an estimate for cleaning, and also one for replacement.
I may be looking at that. where are you located....I live in Ooltewah.

Latest posts