HVAC pros

J

Jon54

If there are any HVAC professionals here, please PM me as I have a question.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

Post your question here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

DRSJ35

did you get an answer.Maybe i can help or one of us anyway.

J

Jon54

We bought a new (to us) home that’s about 30 years old. When we bought it, I knew we’d be looking at an HVAC system sooner than later. The seller provided a home warranty so I was hoping to get a Year before replacing one of two units.

We called a reliable contractor to come out and clean, service and inspect the system just before the cold snap. Ironically, the guy that came is the son of a good friend. He said our older unit (18 yrs) had a cracked heat exchanger, whatever that is. He said hit needed replacing and could be a health hazard.

We called the home warranty folks and they sent a dufus out who said most units had cracks in them. He tested for carbon monoxide and found no leakage and said we were good to go. We’ve appealed his decision. Who’s right?

Camp David

Camp David

We went through the heat exchanger needing replacement. They shut our heat off, saying it was that dangerous, and I expect it is. At our own expense, we replaced the entire HVAC system with one that has about paid for itself over 10 years now.

We had Home Shield warranty. Never had them pay for the replacement of anything, only to patch it up. Just an FYI.

H

hayden01

I'd be very careful with that myself. You'd be doing right by getting it fixed.

1 good shot

1 good shot

Did the dufus run the heater for an extended period before he checked for carbon monoxide. The problem with cracks is that they expand when the metal is heated up I always condemn the furnace it had any kind of crack in it because it's too big a risk. I did a lot of follow-ups on these home warranty companies when I was doing the work and I don't have a lot of confidence in those people at all

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

Home warranties suck. We have basically started telling customers they pay us then collect the money from the company. The guy that came out is a moron. A cracked heat exchanger is nothing to screw around with. I would call back and make one more fuss. Including threatening legal action if someone died from carbon monoxide.

J

Jon54

I wasn’t here when dufus should up but my wife wasn’t impressed. Our plan is to try and get the home warranty to buy out of that component and then replace the entire unit. We’re going to add insulation at the same time.

big 8s in Weakley county

big 8s in Weakley county

Does it smell really bad out the exhaust when the unit is running. May call the gas company and see if they will condemn it if it's cracked that will give you some power if they say it's unsafe and can't be used.

KPH

KPH

Supporter
When ever I found a cracked heat exchanger I shut the gas off. This can KILL you. Depending witch side of the heat exchanger the fan is you may or may not get any fumes in the house but why take a chance. As far as I am concerned dufus just put in on the line he is responsible for your safety now. I have seen people sick from this usually flue type feeling.
Now on the other hand I have seen some shister outfits condemn one just to sell a new units.

FLTENNHUNTER1

FLTENNHUNTER1

18 years old - REPLACE IT. Your power bills will decrease significantly.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
TheAirMan":4weahtsa said:
Home warranties suck. We have basically started telling customers they pay us then collect the money from the company. The guy that came out is a moron. A cracked heat exchanger is nothing to screw around with. I would call back and make one more fuss. Including threatening legal action if someone died from carbon monoxide.

We negotiated that in the contract with our house so the seller paid for the home warranty for ours. They are absolutely terrible. Had been in ours about a month and the A/C messed up. Can't remember exactly what it was but they were giving my wife and the HVAC man the go around. So I finally called them and got it squared away, not that I was a douche or anything but I really wanted to be more than I was. I ended up paying the guy so he didn't have to wait around on the HW people and got reimbursed back. But after $100 deposit and them not covering antifreeze it wasn't worth the hassle.

We had the problem with our heater a few weeks ago and I didn't even call them.

DaveB

DaveB

A lot of young people are buying homes and they are being told the appliance warranty is the new must-have.

I thought these home warranty companies had been put out of business via lawsuits. The are worse than nothing.

rem270

rem270

Supporter
DaveB":edz693c5 said:
A lot of young people are buying homes and they are being told the appliance warranty is the new must-have.

I thought these home warranty companies had been put out of business via lawsuits. The are worse than nothing.

This was the first home warranty I've bought out of 4 houses. Our realtor wanted to negotiate it in the contract so I thought why not. I would never recommend it. I'll never buy one on my own.

winchester77jj

winchester77jj

Never ever mess around with a cracked heat exchanger. It is supposed to be a completely sealed system that keeps the co out of the dwelling. If it has even a slight crack, as stated it can kill you. I would not accept the Dufus’s ruling at all. But you may have to call you own licensed contractor for an opinion.
And it may be less than ideal but I would replace part or the unit even if warranty doesn’t cover it. Too dangerous.

J

Jon54

The Warranty nuts are sending a 2nd dufus out. I just talked to him to put him on notice that I was concerned about our safety. I’m going to replace the unit but I want to try and get $ from the warranty nuts

TNGunsmoke

TNGunsmoke

Good luck, everyone that I know of that has tried to file a claim was told it was a pre-existing condition caused by the former owners negligence to do maintenance and that they didn't cover it.

winchester77jj

winchester77jj

And install your own co alarms. Gas heat is great but better to be safe