HVAC men--question.

P

Paul Burns

Need advice. My sister got a big electric bill ($290 )last week and the electric utility company came out and said she needed to have her unit checked. Normal bill between 100 and 180 dollars.
Repair man said her heat pump compressor was shot. This is a 12 year old Hi-efficient Trane unit. Said it would take 1500-1800 dollars to replace compressor.. He recommended that she let him put her in a natural gas unit. Note She would have to pay a connection fee to the gas company of $ 300 . The unit and installation would be about $5000.
Sis is 75 years old and not in the best of health and lives alone and has a limited income.
She asked my advice and I don't know what to tell her. What would say to her.
Thanks Paul

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

It’s personal preference really. I don’t recommend old people go from gas to heat pump. They never like the colder air. However, if she’s used to a heat pump, I don’t see any reason to switch. It will cost her more in the long run and be another bill to keep up with Also, with a straight gas system, not a duel fuel, when it goes down she won’t get any heat out of it at all. Of course a heat pump can completely go out too. However, with a lot of problems she would still have auxiliary heat. The heat pump would also, keep it bearable until so cold by itself if the auxiliary heat stopped working.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KPH

KPH

Supporter
This is a tuff one. Danged if you do and danged if you don't. It would add value to the house to go with gas, but on the other hand I would almost think to go as cheap as you can and just replace the compressor . But then you don't know what else could go wrong with it.

Rebel

Rebel

Supporter
It would take her years to recoup the extra expense of switching to gas. Get a 2nd opinion. Paul, you and I met many years back at a TNdeer Vous... Hope you're doing well.

Also, let me know where Carroll County is located in W. TN. We have a referral list of contractors across the state. I'll try to see if I can locate an honest reputable contractor for you.

huntinkev

huntinkev

just a thought but was this bad cold spell on this bill? I should be getting mine any day and I'm expecting a big increase just because of how cold it was and how much that thing had to run to keep it nice and comfortable 68 in the house. I don't know how warm she keeps it but I suspect probably warmer than that. I will know in a week or so how much mine went up this month. I am no HVAC guy so I can't provide any advice other than I would stick with the heat pump if I was in her situation just from the cost point. No point in switching now and having a higher upfront cost and last time I had gas, my bill wasn't any cheaper. Yea, my electric bill was a little cheaper but I had a $100-$150 gas bill to pay during the winter months. I did like the gas heat better though.

TheAirMan

TheAirMan

There won’t be any recouping the extra money to switch. It will cost more now and in the long run. When the gas bill is figured in. That is if she goes with straight gas and not a duel fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurhunter

Spurhunter

Supporter
I would stick with the heat pump. Electricity is cheap. It doesn't get that cold around here very often.

First thing I would do is get a second opinion. If the compressor was "shot" I think you would be having more issues than a high electric bill.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

M

M.Simp

Paul Burns":1yquavot said:
Need advice. My sister got a big electric bill ($290 )last week and the electric utility company came out and said she needed to have her unit checked. Normal bill between 100 and 180 dollars.
Repair man said her heat pump compressor was shot. This is a 12 year old Hi-efficient Trane unit. Said it would take 1500-1800 dollars to replace compressor.. He recommended that she let him put her in a natural gas unit. Note She would have to pay a connection fee to the gas company of $ 300 . The unit and installation would be about $5000.
Sis is 75 years old and not in the best of health and lives alone and has a limited income.
She asked my advice and I don't know what to tell her. What would say to her.
Thanks Paul
Mr. Paul give me a shout tomar and I will give you some
names of the hvac guys that I deal with. Mark S. 731-697-8002