Hvac guys??

Mudbone

Mudbone

We have gas heat.
The downstairs doesn’t work. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what to look for? The internet has been more confusing than helpful. I’m not sure what kind of system I have. Crap I hate spending large amount of money on things like this.
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
Ours just did that, and I thought it was the thermostat. After replacing that, learned it wasn't, and called my guy.

In my case, it was a faulty ground wire.

Mudbone

Mudbone

Oh, and there is separate thermostats for upstairs and downstairs if that makes any difference in response anyone may be able to give.

J

jb3

check thermostat batteries.

check combustion air fan as it maybe stuck.

Take off the panel on your unit and look for a flashing red light. Then look on the inside cover and see if you can correlate what the problem is.

Mudbone

Mudbone

The downstairs thermostat doesn’t seem to have batteries it is one of the old school ones. Not digital. To be honest I’m not even sure where the unit is? I think the big thing in the attack is an air handler? The two things outside, idk..

Mudbone

Mudbone

It’s a package unit w heat exchanger type thing. I don’t think it’s coming on or not staying on or something.
It says on the unit the exchanger was changed last in 02’. I guess that’s probably not good lol

Mudbone

Mudbone

There is four burners. The one on the far left will light on. Then go out. Light back on for about ten seconds then go out. There is some not so good noise before it cuts off. Crap. Looking like this may be out of my league.

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
How long since you had the exchanger inspected? Your HVAC may be trying to save your life!

I've got a guy, but I'm not sure if he goes as far as Old Hickory or not. He's good stuff.

double browtine

double browtine

If you have a gas pack, then sounds like it could be a thermocouple is malfunctioning. Or if you have a heat pump, could just be a capacitor.

Mudbone

Mudbone

Look at the burner second from left

Attachments

• 0B2B7A81-846B-4D7F-87DB-79EE9AC5CC60.jpeg
    0B2B7A81-846B-4D7F-87DB-79EE9AC5CC60.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 499
Mudbone

Mudbone

It’s got low pressure.
I’m thinking the orifice(hole thing) lol is clogged a bit maybe?
I had to get the other burners lit with a long match.
Probly stupid and unsafe. Idk maybe I can fix it.

Mudbone

Mudbone

Boom!!
Just a dirty orifice in the second burner was keeping gas from gettin to the others. Cleaned the lil hole out with a bread tie, put back together and they all lit right off. It’s workin properly for now.
Ye your right Carlos, it’s old but most the parts are new aside from the exchanger which I’m thinking the date could be wrong because it looks shiny and new. We’ve only been in this house like four years so idk. Hopefully I can make it through the winter. Thx guys!
Feels good to fix this and save the money which I am sure would have been significant.

M

mike243

It will probably stop up again,little ol black critters with pincers in the front get in there then die,stops it up normally have to take apart and blow out,you may have broken it up enuf to pass thru ,time will tell

Nimrod777

Nimrod777

Supporter
You're running a carbon monoxide detector in the house, yeah?

M

mike243

any body with a gas furnace or a wood stove ect needs at least 1 CMD ,it saved my brotherinlaw and his family when they had a chimney problem,get 1 please and every body change battery's in your fire alarms

dralarms

dralarms

mike243":2ltaknr2 said:
any body with a gas furnace or a wood stove ect needs at least 1 CMD ,it saved my brotherinlaw and his family when they had a chimney problem,get 1 please and every body change battery's in your fire alarms

Fantastic advice.