Hunting tree rats can go south real quickly

Knothead

This is how squirrel hunters can get in trouble. How many times have you just backed up to a tree and sat down, sat still and just waited for a tree rat to show up? I've done it many times. I'll do some good looking at the tree the next time !!

IMG_8387.jpeg

Lt.Dan

This is how squirrel hunters can get in trouble. How many times have you just backed up to a tree and sat down, sat still and just waited for a tree rat to show up? I've done it many times. I'll do some good looking at the tree the next time !!

View attachment 179631
Those are all juveniles. The yellow tip on the tail. They are just as deadly, maybe more so because they don't know how to control their venom from what I've read.

ghostfive

View attachment 179631
Wow! Look at all the danger noodles.

MickThompson

That picture is making laps around the internet that would make a panther jealous!

The reality is you're a whole lot more likely to get stung and have a reaction, catch a disease from a tick, bitten by a dangerous spider, or trampled by a cow than bitten by a venomous snake. The vast majority of snake bites occur because someone is trying to catch or kill one. Mama was right when she told us to keep our hands to ourselves.

I'm not sure what kind it was but I'm 99% sure I sat on a snake in the dark turkey hunting a few years ago. I could feel it trying to crawl out from under the seat on my vest. I was close enough to the roost that I wasn't moving for fear of getting busted. Still got my butt too.

That said, snakes are a year round deal in Tennessee so y'all better just stay in the house and leave the woods and fields to me.

Willysman

That picture is making laps around the internet that would make a panther jealous!

The reality is you're a whole lot more likely to get stung and have a reaction, catch a disease from a tick, bitten by a dangerous spider, or trampled by a cow than bitten by a venomous snake. The vast majority of snake bites occur because someone is trying to catch or kill one. Mama was right when she told us to keep our hands to ourselves.

I'm not sure what kind it was but I'm 99% sure I sat on a snake in the dark turkey hunting a few years ago. I could feel it trying to crawl out from under the seat on my vest. I was close enough to the roost that I wasn't moving for fear of getting busted. Still got my butt too.

That said, snakes are a year round deal in Tennessee so y'all better just stay in the house and leave the woods and fields to me.
Heard a fellow say one time you can't be afraid of snakes and be a turkey hunter or in this case a squirrel hunter. Don't worry too much about snakes and I hunt the mountains a lot. Did have a Rattler strike at me one morning while turkey hunting. Thank goodness it was pretty cold so he couldn't move much. How's about you all.

CATCHDAWG

Heard a fellow say one time you can't be afraid of snakes and be a turkey hunter or in this case a squirrel hunter. Don't worry too much about snakes and I hunt the mountains a lot. Did have a Rattler strike at me one morning while turkey hunting. Thank goodness it was pretty cold so he couldn't move much. How's about you all.
I'd rather deal with a Timber Rattler 10 to 1 over a Copperhead. The rattlers typically let me know they are there whereas Copperheads are just downright aggressive! I have scars on my hand for a permanent reminder!

Shag

25 years of logging. No telling how many tens (probably hundreds) of thousands trees. Never seen any kind of snake on the base of a tree like that. That had to have been a one in a billion occurrence…or photoshopped.

Spurhunter

Copperheads are just downright aggressive! I have scars on my hand for a permanent reminder!
My experiences have been just the opposite. Every copperhead I've ever encountered never moved a muscle and I'm guessing would've only struck if I had stepped on it. Good thing too, because I've stepped pretty close to a few before I spotted them. Cottonmouths on the other hand seem to be very aggressive.

Latest posts