Hunting near public land

chattanoogaRX12

Just wanting to see everyones opinion. I have an opportunity to lease about 900 acres of private land up against skyline wma in north Alabama. I'm wondering if this lease would be a good idea butted up next to the public land. I feel like the deer may be pushed towards me with the pressure on the public land but I'm also concerned that the deer will be more skittish and harder to hunt and some bums may be hunting my land illegally being so close to the wma. Like to hear your thoughts on the situation. Thanks.

TNDeerGuy

My family owns 150 acres on the side of the mountain that borders part of the western side of the wma, and your asssumptions are correct�deer will get pushed over on you, as they search for less pressured areas. I cut my hunting "teeth" on that mountain as a kid. That entire mountain is loaded with quality deer. Good Luck!

chattanoogaRX12

Now I'm trying to decide if I should spend the extra money and lease that land or should I just hunt the public land and potentially put that money toward another lease close to home in TN that has more members. I think I'm torn between wanting the pleasure of being able to control the hunting pressure on the lease near the WMA versus spending less money but hunting in a club with more members. Oh well I'll figure it all out. Either way it will be great to be out in the woods. Thanks for the reply.

Bayou Buck

My property borders public land but it isnt pressured much. I like having an extra thousand acres to run around on for a change of scenery.

rem270

backstraps said:
I would choose a lease with LESS members.
Just my 2 cents

x2. i would never be on a lease with more than 3 or 4 people. that might be why i dont have a lease to :D

I just dont like hunting beside just anyone, i want it to be a good friend or family member.

ghosthunter

You should check out Bear Hollow WMA. It's the same as Skyline but you don't have to buy an AL license. There are good deer all over that mountain system.

I know a guy who killed a 152" gross and probably not far from net 8 point off of Skyline last year. Seen it in person.

It's hunting out there. No gimmie.

landman

I've got a tract that joins public land, its a blessing and a curse at the same time, spent first 3 years running people off, same lame story just wanted to take the short way out.
I use to spend opening weekend of bow season walking the lines with riot gun or AR, word got around, but still have to watch it close, and know there's a member on here that the GW is watching
out for...oneday

switchbacker

my old lease i had a family next to it who would ride horses and atvs on it, ran quite a few deer off from me over it. one talk with the landowner and it stopped. so in my experience it wasnt all terrible

timberjack86

chattanoogaRX12 said:
Now I'm trying to decide if I should spend the extra money and lease that land or should I just hunt the public land and potentially put that money toward another lease close to home in TN that has more members. I think I'm torn between wanting the pleasure of being able to control the hunting pressure on the lease near the WMA versus spending less money but hunting in a club with more members. Oh well I'll figure it all out. Either way it will be great to be out in the woods. Thanks for the reply.
I just hunt public land or some free private land I am lucky enough to snag and save my money for other hunting expenses.

Latest posts