Hunting knife

BluegrassDan

Christmas is coming and I'm going to ask for a hunting knife. I checked out a bunch of knives at the Smoky Mountain Knife Shop in Sevierville.

Should I ask for:

1. Buck Vanguard, 154CM steel
2. Buck Gen 5, 154CM steel
3. Knives of Alaska Alpha Wolf, choice of D2 or S30V
4. or, something else entirely.

I must say that I like fixed blades and a traditional look. Wood, bone, etc. preferable.

FULLDRAWXX75

Knives are one to the hardest tools to choose just one............LOL. I started out using a Buck 112 folding Ranger, then one Christmas my younger brother bought me a Kershaw 1030tf (a fixed blade) and I have never used another knife since, it has been nearly 25 yrs.

I know wood/bone handles look really great, but they do get very slippery when covered in blood.

I recently found a really nice set up marketed by Remington.............a three piece knife set, includes a capping knife, a general use knife and a skinning/gut hook knife, all for @ $15.00 with a three pocket sheath and belt loop.

Knives are pretty much like rifles, everyone you talk to has their own personal favorite.

My great uncle carried nothing more than a pocket knife with a 3" blade and he gutted more deer than I care to count in his 70 yrs of hunting.

FDXX75

Bar7mag

I am a CASE knife fanatic. Check out the case xxchanger. It comes with multipl blades including a saw for limbs or bone. They all fit in the same sheath. It is all you would ever need for any situation. It is nice to have multiple sharp blades ready at any time.

Adamjcksn

I use a buck knife and you can't go wrong there. But if you wanted to splurge a little you need to check out Ingram knives. These are very high quality custom knives. Nice

10mm4me

If you want an awesome, traditional style knife, Bark River is the only way to go.
www.knivesshipfree.com
Look in the Bark River section on the right. Also, they have a full, no questions asked lifetime warranty. I can vouge for its completeness, like when I used a knife of mine as a nail/prybar to bust a cable lock off a trail cam (long story) & destroyed the wood slabs on the handle.

moondawg

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
Knives are one to the hardest tools to choose just one............

I know wood/bone handles look really great, but they do get very slippery when covered in blood.

Knives are pretty much like rifles, everyone you talk to has their own personal favorite.

All true. If I had as many guns as I did knives, I'd be on a government watch list. :D They're hard to resist buying at a knife/hardware store.

For hunting knives, I like the rubber grips.

deer f

I have a browning with a saw blade and a regular blade with a gut hook. I love it. I have had it for 5 or 6 years now. I normally can't keep up with a knife but I like this one so much I freak out if I misplace it so I have not lost it yet

Latest posts