Hunting In The Rain !!!???

BubbaGoneWild

Alright let's hear what everyone thinks about to hunt, or not to hunt in rain. Tell your experiences and what you've seen over the years, and what time of year also. Go!!

K-dub

I used to when I was younger and thought I had to go every available minute. I've killed one deer in the rain during muzzle loader. Never had that many sightings. Now that I'm older I go when I feel like and if it's raining, I don't feel like it 😂

Remington700

I do not mind hunting in the rain. The worst part is having to deep clean your weapon afterwards. I have not had much luck seeing a lot in the rain.

Last edited:

Volbuck777

Killed one in a terrestrial downpour this evening in catoosa. Luckily I double lunged her and she just ran out of sight. I came down the stand and pulled my fingers back the arrow and seen a little blood with no smell. I went to looking and she was piled up about 40 yards away. Only deer shot this evening and only 9th this weekend on catoosa.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Light mist to light rain and with a rifle or ML, no problem. Archery, no way. Blood trail's go away and I just don't want to chance not finding one.

rem270

Killed my biggest buck in the rain last year with a muzzleloader. It was a steady downpour and 2 does and him walked out right at dark, not sure how close to legal shooting light left but I did do the speed limit on the way there.

When I shot all I seen was flame and smoke. Caught a glimpse of 2 deer run off and thought that's a good sign. Then seen a 3rd and said oh crap. Luckily when I got down to look he had went in a patch of woods and back into the field. May have ran 40 yards total. Had he not have been laying in the field I wouldn't have known which way he ran and there would have been no blood trail due to the rain. My only hope would have been look that night and if no luck go back at it the next morning and hope I stumbled up on him. Not saying I won't hunt in the rain again but it definitely made me think about things.

Ski

I've always had real good luck during rain.The immediate before and the immediate after a storm have always been great times, too.

I don't really see where blood trail makes much difference. When I hit my mark, the deer are dead inside 100yds. I usually see them fall, or at least hear it happen. I've come to learn that when deer go much farther that that, they're probably not mortally wounded and I'm not going to find them no matter how good the blood trail is. Eventually it stops and the deer is nowhere to be seen. There are exceptions of course. But not enough so to keep me out of the woods when the weather is just right.

Volbuck777

I've always had real good luck during rain.The immediate before and the immediate after a storm have always been great times, too.

I don't really see where blood trail makes much difference. When I hit my mark, the deer are dead inside 100yds. I usually see them fall, or at least hear it happen. I've come to learn that when deer go much farther that that, they're probably not mortally wounded and I'm not going to find them no matter how good the blood trail is. Eventually it stops and the deer is nowhere to be seen. There are exceptions of course. But not enough so to keep me out of the woods when the weather is just right.
You have some solid hearing if you can hear them fall on wet leaves and grind 70 yards away in a downpour. I couldn't hear crap yesterday when mine fell. I lost sight of her and went to praying. Lol

Boll Weevil

I don't mind hunting in the rain if for no other reason, than to hear it falling on the tin roof of a shooting house. Very little luck for me over the years in the rain, but I'll still sit, relax, and listen to the pitter patter on the roof.

Latest posts