Hunting in a CWD world

fairchaser

I was fortunate to harvest a doe opening day. It was around 6:00 pm and I had some work to do before dark. The doe dropped within 50 yards and I jumped down immediately. With fading light, I went directly to her. She was dead. No fawn nearby, she was also dry. I was thankful to have earned my buck tag. We must kill a doe first at Ames.

I took my climber down and carried it to the bike, got my cart and went back to get my deer. She was a good sized 2.5 year old and was heavy not dressed. I needed my gloves, scalpel and zip lock bags before I dressed her. Once back at the truck, I had to open her up and find the large and small intestine. They needed sections of those for research. I then called the researcher to meet me at the check station.

Once there we weighed, aged by removing the jaw bone, and removed the pharyngeal glands for CWD analysis. After completing all the paperwork, finally I had a deer to deal with. No processors were open, it was too warm to hang it for the night and no place to refrigerate it so I cut the backstraps out and dumped the deer in a hole dug specifically for this. I felt bad about this but no other real choice.

Some 2.5 hours after I killed my doe, I was headed home. Now to wait on my results. After 2.5 weeks, I finally got the news this week that my doe was CWD positive.

This is the new paradigm we hunt in now. I want to be part of the solution, but this is hard.

Remington700

I hunt not far from you in Williston. We have seen the signs of CWD. Found dead bucks (skulls with horns attached), see less large bucks, etc. So far we have only had one buck test positive. Unfortunately several bucks we have turned in for testing have not been tested. I do not know if this is the processor or TWRA's fault. It has definitely changed our way of deer hunting.

Boll Weevil

I'm not far from you and certainly understand Ames has rules so applaud you for the compliance. The first year we jumped through all the testing hoops but no longer. The recognition that CWD is here, it's not going anywhere, and we're simply not going to waste the meat which is safe to consume drove the decision. For us hunting in a CWD world isn't a whole lot different than a non-CWD world.

AT Hiker

Kinda like covid, I feel like the best hind sight scenario would be…to leave us hunters mostly in the dark about the issue.
It's here, it's not going anywhere and even the brightest minds don't have a full grasp on it yet.
It all went down hill fast when the media got ahold of it and released the "zombie deer" headline.

fairchaser

I'm not far from you and certainly understand Ames has rules so applaud you for the compliance. The first year we jumped through all the testing hoops but no longer. The recognition that CWD is here, it's not going anywhere, and we're simply not going to waste the meat which is safe to consume drove the decision. For us hunting in a CWD world isn't a whole lot different than a non-CWD world.
While I admire your stance Bo Weevil, how do you know it's safe to consume? I'm sure I've consumed some CWD venison in the past, it's just not possible for me to eat it now with a clear conscience.,

Omega

?? Knowing that is the procedure, I would do like I do now, except instead of quartering, I would debone. Before the hunt, I fill a cooler with ice. Once a deer is down, I get it up on the gambrel, now permanent, but have a portable one too, as quick as I can. I gut and quarter the deer, removing the backstraps, tenderloins, and heart for quicker processing (usually eat the heart for dinner that day). I place the quartered deer in game bags then on top of the grate I have in the cooler and place the ice on top. I leave it in the cooler for a week, emptying the water and replacing the ice as necessary, whereupon I begin processing for the freezer. Seeing as some would like to wait on results, the aging timeline can be stretched some if need be. Seeing as Ames makes some decent money off of hunters, you would think they would build a place to do all this.

When I was stationed at Ft Bragg, (for mil members, yea I know.. "Back at Bragg") McKeller's Lodge had a walk-in cooler for members to store the deer for 4 days (skin on), the check station had a kill shack with gambrels, hoses, saws, clippers etc, and a hole outback (moved yearly) for the carcasses, which would be treated with lime daily. While the tools would be an issue with CWD, there has to be something like this that would work there, at least to keep members from wasting good venison.

Boll Weevil

While I admire your stance Bo Weevil, how do you know it's safe to consume?
Mostly because people have consumed untold numbers of deer and elk with CWD in the US for at least the last 60 years (whether they knew it or not) and to date there have been no reported cases of CWD in humans. None. Does that mean there will never be a case? Of course not...never say never.

Personally, my conscience could scarcely rest easy killing deer and then discarding the meat.

Last edited:

knightrider

While I admire your stance Bo Weevil, how do you know it's safe to consume? I'm sure I've consumed some CWD venison in the past, it's just not possible for me to eat it now with a clear conscience.,
You know its safe because everyone is still alive after eating it for years. Wasting deer is a poor decision of being scared of something that isnt an issue, if your afraid to eat em stop killing them.

Headhunter

Mostly because people have consumed untold numbers of deer and elk with CWD in the US for at least the last 60 years (whether they knew it or not) and to date there have been no reported cases of CWD in humans. None. Does that mean there will never be a case? Of course not...never say never.

Personally, my conscience could scarcely rest easy killing deer and then discarding the meat.
Yep, CWD has been here since the 1960's. In several states with CWD, they do not test for it at all. Hunting goes about like it always has. Most everything TWRA is doing to try to combat CWD has already been tried and failed. Don't understand why they can't learn from other states, especially the "kill as many deer" as possible in CWD areas.

I do not want to be the test case for a human getting CWD from a deer, but for now, I am not going to worry about it.

BSK

Would I eat a CWD deer? Probably. But I'm not going to make that decision for my family, so I would most likely discard the meat from any deer that tested positive for CWD. But I think the chances of being harmed by it are infinitesimally small. Even Mad Cow Disease, which was known to be transmissible to humans, only infected a tiny, tiny percentage of the people who ate infected meat. Last time I saw the numbers, it is estimated 35+ million people ate MCD infected beef in Europe. Yet only 206 people got the disease from eating tainted meat. That's an infection rate of 0.0006%

fairchaser

You know its safe because everyone is still alive after eating it for years. Wasting deer is a poor decision of being scared of something that isnt an issue, if your afraid to eat em stop killing them.
I do understand this position. I was raised that way. But, it's also short sighted. I wouldn't eat a coyote, crow or many other things I've killed. There's a conservation component and I do care about the future of whitetail deer. I don't see how walking away from it would be beneficial for the cause.

backyardtndeer

Will be a bit of an inconvenience here getting deer tested, unless they are going to a taxidermist. We kill them on our farm, and they never leave our property before going in the freezer. I spend a good amount of time processing and package everything in food saver bags. Would hate to kill one and spend all that time, only to have the deer come back positive and be told not to eat it.

knightrider

I do understand this position. I was raised that way. But, it's also short sighted. I wouldn't eat a coyote, crow or many other things I've killed. There's a conservation component and I do care about the future of whitetail deer. I don't see how walking away from it would be beneficial for the cause.
Wasting all of one but the backstraps isnt very beneficial for the deers future either

fairchaser

Many deer hunters are simply quitting deer hunting,
not because of CWD, but because of the regulatory requirement edicts.

This may be one of those cases where the cure is worse than the disease.
The new rules don't bother me as much as the impact to the deer herd. I've considered quitting and may yet even though I've built a lifestyle around hunting especially deer hunting. It's very disappointing and I feel for the future generations of deer hunters. I generally just roll with the punches but it's gonna be hard to convince my grandsons that we are going to kill these deer and dump them in a hole.

Latest posts