Hunt with Laptop From a Climber??

rem270

There's always that chance to get busted but I'd go for it and not worry about it. Keep it in a backpack til it's time to work on it then put it right back up after. Doing that will be better than sitting in the recliner doing it and wishing you were hunting.

UTGrad

Not too bad. Already seen a doe.

Attachments

• 8FBDC8DA-4AAA-45F6-86B8-795F6E7E25F7.jpeg
    8FBDC8DA-4AAA-45F6-86B8-795F6E7E25F7.jpeg
    318.5 KB · Views: 77

FTP

You sales guys that are hunters ever done it before? I hunt with my laptop out of my shooting houses all the time. Even take calls and close business. What about a laptop from a Summit Viper for those urgent emails lol.

Got to get in the woods!
Use your cell phone

ttf909

Can't do quotes and certain important functions from phone or iPad. It has to be on the good ole Lenovo Thinkpad.

Primarily it will be a before work thing where something might be urgent about 8:30 AM when I'm not ready to come down yet.
Everyone will say you can't do this but work doesn't stop for some of us when we are on "vacation" . That's all I have to add

rem270

Everyone will say you can't do this but work doesn't stop for some of us when we are on "vacation" . That's all I have to add
I've dealt with that for the past 8 years but luckily all that is fixing to change for the most part and I'll be having a lot more free time with my new position! Phone calls 24/7 and calls your whole vacation will burn a person out quick.

Mescalero

I've dealt with that for the past 8 years but luckily all that is fixing to change for the most part and I'll be having a lot more free time with my new position! Phone calls 24/7 and calls your whole vacation will burn a person out quick.
I've dealt with this for 30+ years. Much easier before e-mail, cell phones, MS Teams (anyone remember cc:mail?). I live my professional life in the tax world (had a WY elk hunt postponed for a MT tax trial back in the day). Don't prep returns. I'm the "position" or "provision/accrue a reserve" guy. Busy season is 12 months. Set the e-mail auto-reply to "limited access to e-mail, if urgent call my mobile phone" and have had some of those calls on the stand. Have responded to many an e-mail question on the stand. Luckily, I only need my iPhone.

Life is full of irony. After November 15 and after Thanksgiving and before Christmas has always been the time for the "leadership conferences." Until Covid. Last year and this year is the first year my hunting hasn't been interrupted by having to travel to Orlando or Dallas. Firm has realized the millions of dollars they are saving by going virtual. I know I'll still get calls and emails on the stand, but I've become a master at managing them.

Bullit

2-Step Enabled
That's why I am in the tree to start with to get away from business. If it wasn't for having a family I wouldn't even carry a phone. Being out in the woods is my way to relieve stress

TNDeerJP

My rule is to not gaze at electronics (phone or laptop) between daylight and 10 am and between 3 pm and dark. These are the most active deer times and I have several times looked up from a laptop or phone to find deer staring at me before I knew they were even there. Busted! I once failed to get an easy shot at an 8 pointer after watching him approach me for 20 minutes when someone called me after I had forgotten to silence my phone. Early and late in the day the back light of the screens give you away. Phone and computer screens have you staring at your lap or what's in your hands instead of what's going on around you. But doing a little work in the middle of the day really helps reduce the avalanche of emails and text messages that you can return to after a day in the field. I just try to minimize it by saying to myself "Now why was it that I got up at O-dark-thirty this morning? Drove for an hour and then walked for 15 minutes in the dark and climbed this tree into the starlight?" It wasn't to type and click on a keyboard. I could do that in the office.

TNDeerJP

Over the years I have taken electronics into the field – mostly laptop and phone. As with most things in life there are advantages and disadvantages. Advantages include getting office work done during the more boring times on stand in order to have fewer emails and text messages requiring response upon returning from the field, as well as, being able to text a hunting partner after hearing a shot to see if they have "brown on the ground"? The major disadvantage is the distraction they produce from focusing one's attention on the task at hand – HUNTING! I once missed an opportunity to get an easy bow shot at an 8 pointer I had been watching approach me for half an hour when I had forgotten to silence my cell phone and got a call just as he walked within shooting range. Grrrrr. I almost smashed that phone into the tree trying to silence it but I was too late. And I have to remember to put the phone in airplane mode to completely stop receiving communications because of family, friends, or co-workers who know they can reach me and often ignore the fact that one reason I went hunting was to get away from them! Looking down at electronics takes focus way from what's going on around you and backlit screens show up too much during dimly lit hours. So my rule is to put away electronics between daylight and 10 am and between 3 pm and dark which are usually the most active deer times. And I say to myself "Now why was it that I got up at O-dark-thirty, drove for an hour to a hunting spot, walked for 15 minutes in the dark, and then climbed a tree into the starlight?" It wasn't to click and peck on a keyboard. I could do that back at the office.

Attachments

• 100_5430.JPG
    100_5430.JPG
    226.3 KB · Views: 35

vonb

Ask yourself this; when you are on your death bed, are you going to say, "I wished I'd taken one more meeting." Or, are you going to say, "I wished I spent more time with family and doing what I love."

I've been in my professional career for ~24 years. I'm burnt out. My vacation/off time is my time. There are times where I have to be available 24x7 and I'm there when I'm needed. I have taken a phone into the woods to conduct business. It was during a merger....I can only sum it up by saying it sucked and left me with a week off with anxiety. I learned from that experience that work will never EVER go to the woods with me again.

Latest posts