Hummingbirds

FTP

their range has expanded for several years and now everybody and their mommas are feeding them now, so they have a lot of food choices.

put the same amount of birds spread out over greater distance and youll naturally see less. Cornell Ornithology hasnt seen a reduction in numbers.
I'm not buying that one, I am not convinced that my neighbors who are few and far in between have all of the sudden began putting out feeders all at the same time this year and never fed them in the past 13 years I've lived out here. Hummingbirds are migratory and habitual, they come back to the same location to mate, nest and eat. Something else has happened, just not sure yet what it is.

Big Pop

Here in East Tennessee they were late and seemed to be a little late nesting but they've been very active the last few weeks.

FTP

Here in East Tennessee they were late and seemed to be a little late nesting but they've been very active the last few weeks.
Big Pop, I am really baffled about them being late. They are instinctive, the good LORD tells when to go North or South, that time does not change greatly by a few months each year. It is very very consistent by just a few days. I know the first bird or two will show up at my place around April 10th give or take 3-4 either side of that, no matter the weather. As that was the cas this year. My observation is that the number of them has declined by 80-90% of what is normal over the last 13 years.

FTP

They still seem to be about the same number here. They are amazing to watch!
Shoot I appreciate the job they do of catching house flies
I live in between row large horse farms
And so with a lot of manure comes a lot of flies.
With much fewer hummingbirds, we have had way too many flies in our house compared to normal

WTM

I'm not buying that one, I am not convinced that my neighbors who are few and far in between have all of the sudden began putting out feeders all at the same time this year and never fed them in the past 13 years I've lived out here. Hummingbirds are migratory and habitual, they come back to the same location to mate, nest and eat. Something else has happened, just not sure yet what it is.
i really could care less. the info is on the orinthology site.

FTP

i really could care less. the info is on the orinthology site.
Interestingly, by not caring, you may not have noticed several other comments from folks all across the state who've reported much lower numbers as well ....

Buzzard Breath

They're all at my place this year. I've got 5 feeders spread over an acre yard and they are constantly fighting at all 5 of them. I've had to start buying the big bag of sugar. I normally only have a few of them, but this year is different.

WTM

Interestingly, by not caring, you may not have noticed several other comments from folks all across the state who've reported much lower numbers as well ....
as has the entire country. by not caring, i mean your comment of not believing. as they say, you can take a horse to water but cant make him drink.

migratory and nesting patterns/siteschange due to several factors. just ask any tennessee duck hunter. its the same for other migratory birds.

FTP

as has the entire country. by not caring, i mean your comment of not believing. as they say, you can take a horse to water but cant make him drink.

migratory and nesting patterns/siteschange due to several factors. just ask any tennessee duck hunter. its the same for other migratory birds.
We'll just agree to disagree boss

Latest posts