How will CWD spread?

gatodoc

Yesterday while driving home from a hunt in Fayette county I passed a truck on I-40 traveling east. We were well east of the TN river approaching the Dickson exits.

There was a 4-wheeler on the trailer and what appeared to be 4-5 deer (does) piled up.

one as to assume they were taken in the CWD zone since that's the place currently allowing hunting. One has to also assume they hadn't been tested since results takes weeks. I can only hope the individuals are meticulous in handling the carcass remains as they process them.

There is no doubt CWD will continue to spread and will be everywhere eventually. Apparently, the spread will occur the same way in got to TN. By the hands of man.

Lost Lake

I think, and have for a long time, that it spread from a high fence enclosure full of imported positive deer. Looking at the map, the concentration of positives was just too massive for it to be otherwise. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with the density near the epicenter. I'd also harbor a guess that the enclosure folded up pretty quick.

How it'll spread now, my guess is carcasses, coyotes, buzzards, etc.

I'm sure I'm wrong.

Last edited:

Buzzard Breath

Disclaimer: I'm not as well read on transmission of CWD as I should be. With that said,

I'd like to know what the actual chance of transmission of CWD through the disposal of a contaminated carcass is. In order for it to be transmitted, wouldn't a live deer have to eat the actual dirt that was contaminated when it was disposed?

I understand that Live animals can transmit it many different ways, but is there really that big of a probability of transmittion through carcass disposal. Does anyone have a link to any studies done on this?

BSK

Disclaimer: I'm not as well read on transmission of CWD as I should be. With that said,

I'd like to know what the actual chance of transmission of CWD through the disposal of a contaminated carcass is. In order for it to be transmitted, wouldn't a live deer have to eat the actual dirt that was contaminated when it was disposed?

I understand that Live animals can transmit it many different ways, but is there really that big of a probability of transmittion through carcass disposal. Does anyone have a link to any studies done on this?
Just my guess, but I would suspect transmission through carcass remains would be far rarer than transmission directly from bodily fluids (especially urine/saliva at scrapes and licking branches). Deer have been known to chew on bones for the calcium, hence the possibility of transmission through carcasses. But again, probably more rare than "natural" transmission.

BSK

I think, and have for a long time, that it spread from a high fence enclosure full of imported positive deer. Looking at the map, the concentration of positives was just too massive for it to be otherwise. That's the only thing that makes sense to me with the density near the epicenter. I'd also harbor a guess that the enclosure folded up pretty quick.
I agree the original infection in SW TN was almost certainly due to illegal importation of infected deer, but I would bet it wasn't even an enclosure. Just someone (or a group) that thought they were "improving the local genetics" by importing deer from another area or enclosure and releasing them on their club/property.

backyardtndeer

Damned shame a twra officer didn't roll up on them. I might have been inclined to try to snap a pic of their plate, and notified the local region office.

With that being said, I have read articles that suggested that scavengers may be able to spread the prions over pretty lengthy distances. Buzzards or eagles on a cwd positive carcass could potentially take it anywhere if that were true. I think that is why it has been suggested to bury carcasses deep enough they don't get disturbed or incinerate them.

Andy S.

I oftentimes wonder about CWD positive carcass disposal and rainfall runoff into streams, potentially polluting downstream water sources and infecting deer in those areas. Just a thought as I am no expert on prions and the transmission of CWD. With that said, when I have asked wildlife biologists and scientists where to look to get the most current CWD information, they oftentimes refer me to CWD-INFO.

Here is an article that some of you may find interesting. CWD prions remain infectious after passage through the digestive system of coyotes.

If you only have a few minutes to scan/read, first read the "Abstract", then scroll down and read the section labeled "Discussion".

TDW05

2-Step Enabled
I'm sure the ones involved have probably been doing that for years. Before CWD was a concern. Just the same as the ones that hunt out in western states. I'm sure CWD has been around way longer in TN then the past 3-5 years or however long it been an issue.

gatodoc

Damned shame a twra officer didn't roll up on them. I might have been inclined to try to snap a pic of their plate, and notified the local region office.

With that being said, I have read articles that suggested that scavengers may be able to spread the prions over pretty lengthy distances. Buzzards or eagles on a cwd positive carcass could potentially take it anywhere if that were true. I think that is why it has been suggested to bury carcasses deep enough they don't get disturbed or incinerate them.
I thought about trying to call it in but figured it'd be luck for Twra to catch up with them. Then I thought about TWRAs apparent determination to kill as many deer in west TN as possible and these guys doing their part. The hunters were between a rock and a hard place. Live outside CWD zone. Hunt CWD zone. Collect deer but no way to wait for testing unless using a processor in the zone.

I guess their best move would have been to debone meat in the field and bury carcasses and transport meat. That would have been a heck of a job and many feel unqualified.

At any rate, I'm resigned to the fact that it's here to stay and spread is inevitable. The only question is how fast.

I hunt right in the epicenter in Fayette county. Last year we had 50% positive. This year 8 tested one positive. Herd seems unaffected with the only oberved change is a lack of aged bucks but that may be false observation.

Andy S.

I guess their best move would have been to debone meat in the field and bury carcasses and transport meat. That would have been a heck of a job and many feel unqualified. Correct, the only legal way to go about it. As is the case so many times, the selfish ways of a few will potentially impact many others who comply. IMO, this happens far more than we want to believe.

At any rate, I'm resigned to the fact that it's here to stay and spread is inevitable. The only question is how fast. Facts!

Headhunter

Buzzards, eagles and hawks I believe will spread more or "distance" than any other way. No way to stop that though.

AlabamaSwamper

In South Dakota they had dump sites. You could bring deer from out of state to Processor but they were required to put them in a dump site. I assume a big hole in Pasture somewhere.

They left every day with a trailer load to dump.

That made more sense than forcing people to dump them on the side of the road. Wayne County looks like a deer dump everywhere.

Buzzard Breath

You would be amazed how many people are ignorant on CWD transport laws. Whether its hunting the CWD zone within TN or traveling out of state.
With TWRA changing what areas are considered high risk mid-season, even I don't always know what falls within the CWD transport laws. And I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable on game laws.

AT Hiker

With TWRA changing what areas are considered high risk mid-season, even I don't always know what falls within the CWD transport laws. And I consider myself to be pretty knowledgeable on game laws.
That is a excellent point, I honestly don't know what TN counties are what anymore.

Also, if a hunter or group of hunters didn't think deer hunting 24/7 like many of us, then they likely wouldn't even think transporting a carcass back home would be "illegal". I can almost guarantee people who only deer hunt Thanksgiving weekend with friends/family think and know nothing about CWD and the rules that follow.

fairchaser

There are so, so many ways for CWD to spread and add to it that it never dies, you have the perfect combination of variables that ensures its continued movement into unaffected areas. It's just a matter of time sadly. The good news is that in spite of its proliferation, it doesn't seem to greatly diminish the herd. It only seems to make it younger by killing off the older animals before their natural lifespan. This unfortunately is the bane of mature buck hunters. But a few always slip through, just fewer than before. And this will keep those of us who are dedicated eagerly looking forward to the next season.

Latest posts