How to hunt thick, mountainous property

BuckHunter511

I have a 20 acre property that is thick and that has a few mature trees and many 4-6 in trees growing in thick proximity. Same goes for the 100 acres behind it that I am allowed to hunt. I have a foodplot on my place but how do I hunt the mountains and all that crowded timber? The "mature" trees are very less than ideal for treestands.

Scout right now to try to get an idea of deer density, available food types, cover, water,etc. Also take note of prevailing winds/thermals AM vs PM.

Take good notes, especially on topo details.

Winchester

102 said:
Scout right now to try to get an idea of deer density, available food types, cover, water,etc. Also take note of prevailing winds/thermals AM vs PM.

Take good notes, especially on topo details.
Good advice, NOW is when you figure a great deal out about a piece of ground if you have the luxury of scouting it any time.

String Music

Sounds like you need to fire up a chainsaw and start making trails. As others have said, scout the entire property two or three times right now to figure out food, bedding, trails etc.

Figure out what the adjacent land has to offer as well. Once you scout the property hard, post what you find as well as a topo/aerial map and we can give you better advice.

Poleaxe

Sometimes its hard to scout now with the deer are not eating the rotten acorns. I would scout to find the biggest bunch of white oaks on the edge of the thickest jungle u can find.

Latest posts