Food Plots How much is enough?

Snowwolfe

We live on 42 acres with the house in the middle. Deer occasionally travel through our property but other than acorns not much food to keep them here. One side of our land is bordered by 1,500 acres that is protected and not hunted. The trail cameras will pick up huge bucks once in awhile but for the most part they are nocturnal.
Been giving some thought to having an area cleared and planted (peas, radishes, winter wheat, etc). The area I have in mind would roughly be 45 yards wide and up to 150 yards long and will be bordered on all four sides with heavy timber. Is this enough of a crop to keep them coming back in the area on a regular basis?

AllOutdoors

Every little bit will help. With a section that wide, I would also plant apple, pear, sawtooth, and chestnut trees on the sides. Then you can still plant the middle in what plot mix you want.

Antler Dirt John

In the Monterey area your density is not so high that they will destroy a plot that size. A little larger would be nice but do what you can. If you can choose the location think about travel routes and stand placement before you clear. If you can get near bedding and between cover and food like acorns that is a good idea. Also consider hog use in your area and get the landowner permit to go along with that issue.If there is little green food during the winter in your area then you may create a real destination. An irregular edge and some living screen (tall grasses or crops) will make deer more secure and a little more likely to come out during daylight.

On a side note, for next year I am evaluating some of our plots at a distance of 50 to 250 yards back into the woods and thickets trying to get on those that wont come out till after dark.

Also think about sunlight if your timber is tall an east to west plot or on a north slope you will not get enough sunlight for a healthy winter plot. South slope is ideal and a north to south plot in the woods will always out perform due to more sunlight. These are not always possible but are a big plus when they are.

Snowwolfe

We are the landowners and no hogs (yet). The area I have in mind is bordered by a creek on the north side and a small hill on the south side. This area would seem to get decent sun during the day. The deer travel through our property on a regular basis on their way to feeding or bedding. Some days we will have 8 different deer on the trail camera. I know the owners on each side of me and they don't hunt, nor allow it. The owners to the west have horses and same story . Based on the lack of gunshots heard during the season hunting activity around me is almost non existent. Last year it took me 7 days during rifle season before I shot a smallish buck.
The entire food plot would be surrounded by timber and laurel with lots of oaks. The plot would be built within 25 yards of one of the trails they use the most often. We want to do this right so will think about it until spring before acting.

Latest posts