how much grain?

Wobblyshot1

It is a tad much...2f or 3f?

The old Hawken had a 1 in 48" twist and shallow rifling. It was kind of a compromise set up so you could shoot ball or bullet with some degree of accuracy. The 70-80 grains should do all you'd want it to do at reasonable distances.

GMB54

Its a bit much for a PRB but might be ok for a lead conical. This is assuming you have a OEM 1-48 barrel. Green Mnt Barrel used to offer round ball twist and faster twist TC drop in barrels. Loads may vary more using those. The slower GMB 1-66 might do just fine with 100gr of Goex with a PRB. Same could be said for the GMB LRH barrels and a lead conical.

Chickencoop96

It is a tad much...2f or 3f?

The old Hawken had a 1 in 48" twist and shallow rifling. It was kind of a compromise set up so you could shoot ball or bullet with some degree of accuracy. The 70-80 grains should do all you'd want it to do at reasonable distances.
I've been shooting Pyrodex RS with lead balls. cant find actual black powder anywhere right now. I will definitely give 80 grains a try. the gun has been shooting fine but then again i don't get to shoot it that much.

Chickencoop96

Had a friend who use to shoot 80 grs Pyrodex pellets( one 30 and one 50) in his old Austin & Halleck 50 with a sabot and XTP. Never had any trouble killing a deer with that load. He said he got his best accuracy with it.
Went out this evening and shot 80 grains pyrodex and i have to say it held a little better grouping. I think i'll be sticking with 80 grns lol

Harold Money jr

It takes a whole lot less than most think to kill a deer quickly. I've killed dozens with your exact powder load and an XTP bullet and sabot. NEVER had an issue that was blamed on the powder load,