How much ammo and food?

TN RDG RNR

Not asking specifically how much ammo or food anyone has, just how much would make you feel comfortable today.

Probably around 5000 rounds evenly distributed rifle, pistol and shotgun. Im a little shy at this point. Food, 6 month supply. Best guess I have 9 to 12 months if rationed properly.

in the dog house

How much can you carry if you had to leave your home......... IMO all you need is ammo and guns and basic survival tools. If you stock pile, you are just stocking for someone else. A gang of people could easily over run your home unless you have a machine gun :) But even then how long could you hold them off..... worst case scenario obv.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
Ammo is as much a currency as for protection- Too much is never enough.

If you plan to flee your home, where are you headed? From here, I have no where better to go. I'm deep enough in the rural country that If I go further in any direction, I'm headed back out again. I'll make my stand here if it comes to that.

Food on hand is important, but planning for food production and a sustained plan of self reliance is much more important (long term) IMO.

jb3

I believe in being mobile. I don't live out in the middle of the sticks, so I have to plan on being able to take what I can. Someone wants to overtake my house, they can. If someone set fire to it, what can I do. I hope it doesn't come down to something like that, but that's what I don't stockpile ammo. I've got more bourbon than ammo. I think if word got out you had a stockpile of ammo, you are a target or would soon become one.

JeepKuntry

Small rifle 2000 rounds. Shotgun various loads 1000 rounds. Rifles 500 each. Generally I keep 1 month food and water. I know that should be higher, but if things got bad, I would already be out killing more food.

ferg

jb3 said:
I believe in being mobile. I don't live out in the middle of the sticks, so I have to plan on being able to take what I can. Someone wants to overtake my house, they can. If someone set fire to it, what can I do. I hope it doesn't come down to something like that, but that's what I don't stockpile ammo. I've got more bourbon than ammo. I think if word got out you had a stockpile of ammo, you are a target or would soon become one.

Same might be said about bourbon stock piles :) :D

sgtwebb1

jb3 said:
I think if word got out you had a stockpile of ammo, you are a target or would soon become one.

Got to keep a low profile.

The first clue anyone gets from me in a SHTF situation will be around the time the 3rd or 4th zombie drops from a pop to the cabeza, followed immediately by the rapid exfiltration of the clan.

Just sayin'.

Crappie Luck

Staff member
The way I figure it, if you are not on your land, you are on someone else's.

An individual, or even a family could not survive but a community or land owner cooperative can. I have already spoke to the land owners around my farm and we are all in agreement. Through traffic would be stopped or controlled and we'll protect each other's properties, barter and help each other. We are all responsible for our own food and supplies, but security is a shared effort. There's not a lot of way into or out of our community so we'll be able to distance ourselves from most uninvited "guests".

Redfred16

sgtwebb1 said:
jb3 said:
I think if word got out you had a stockpile of ammo, you are a target or would soon become one.

Got to keep a low profile.

The first clue anyone gets from me in a SHTF situation will be around the time the 3rd or 4th zombie drops from a pop to the cabeza, followed immediately by the rapid exfiltration of the clan.

Just sayin'.

I concur.

If I owned an AR I'd have 1 load in my vest in magazines, 1 load on stripper clips in my ruck, and probably more around the house for plinking. For my sidearm, if I owned one, 3 magazines on my vest and 2 50 rd boxes in my ruck. Food I have stored enough for maybe 2 months if rationed hard, and enough for about 5 days on the road in my ruck.

Ounces = pounds and pounds = pain, if you don't believe me you haven't lived it.
Enough to survive and protect

woodchuckc

Just a reminder that you can live a pretty good while on minimal food intake, but potable water is an absolute necessity. It will do you no good to have stockpiled a year's worth of food but have not prepared for having or being able to obtain clean drinking water. Do you have the means to get water and purify it when the tap no longer runs or you don't have electricity to power your well pump?

sgtwebb1

Great points about water & salt.
Invest in a GOOD water filtration system and several extra filters.
Sea salt from Sam's or Costco is cheap and available in bulk.
So are beans & rice.
5 gallon buckets & lids (cheap ones are fine) from Homo Depot, mylar bags & oxygen absorbers from eBay.

Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'.

89cherokeelimited

About 100lbs of meat. A few hundred handgun and rifle rounds.
Rice, beans, a few other vegetables, garden with more food.
Building a water storage area.
A few hundred acres in KY away from civilization and plenty of fishing on the land and hunting.
4 campers already there too Backup electricity and natural gas

7mm08

I was standing next to a well to do looking couple at Gander Mt. one day when the gentlemen asked the burly looking guy behind the counter the exact same question as they were thinking of purchasing their first handgun for "defense". The clerk said without batting an eye, "I just have to be able to kill my neighbor and take what I want if it comes down to it"....the woman literally almost hit the floor. I just walked away.

Ammo will be used for currency.

CountryBoy053

I don't have nearly as much ammo as I wish I had. Once all this stuff calms down, I will be buying ammo every time I have the money to purchase some to have for when this happens ago.
I do have enough to defend my home if need be, or at least long enough to get everything loaded up in the truck.
I have enough food for around a month. But would plan on killing what I need to eat. Have some water put back, but also have purifiers.
Next bit I need will a GOOD ruck sack, I have a beat down one.
Lots of salt. And even more Copenhagen.

Redfred16

Crappie Luck said:
The way I figure it, if you are not on your land, you are on someone else's.

An individual, or even a family could not survive but a community or land owner cooperative can. I have already spoke to the land owners around my farm and we are all in agreement. Through traffic would be stopped or controlled and we'll protect each other's properties, barter and help each other. We are all responsible for our own food and supplies, but security is a shared effort. There's not a lot of way into or out of our community so we'll be able to distance ourselves from most uninvited "guests".

This will be the true answer. You will only truely have what you have when you get with a like minded group. A lone small family can have all they want and thenk they are going to defend it or no one will find them. But eventually there will be desperate or evil people that will find them. Then its a matter of time.

Find like minded people, have a plan, and work for each other. Thats what a real survivor will need to do. Other wise, you may take alot fo them with you, but you will eventually go down.

Latest posts