How many of you guys do this?

Spurhunter

My cousin and I watched THP last night and was making fun of the long haired chic taking video of every gobbler track with a hand beside it for size reference. Cousin was scouting some public land in MS today with a buddy. He told me they cut one gobbler track in a particular area, so, of course I asked if he took a video of it with his hand next to it. He said, "I was going to but my buddy stomped it out before I could." I think wiping out turkey tracks is taught in Kindergarten in Mississippi.

Layne

I'm with Andy, I look for any spot with boot tracks that look like a turkey hunter has been dancing, that's where I start listening.
To really hide it you first have to stomp out the tracks, then get a pine branch and scratch out your boot prints, then hide the broken pine limb, I look for those too... :)

megalomaniac

Last year on the juvie hunt in MS, Ethan and I tent camped out on the lease to be the first to the sign in shed and to scout. We came across a set of gobbler tracks on the main dirt road that went on for a quarter mile. I made Ethan stomp out every single track on that road, then I rode over his stomping with the 4 wheeler :)

With very few actual birds down here, just finding a track is a big deal... and a single fresh track is all I need to stay in an area even without gobbling to find a tom. Heck, I did that twice on national forest last year... cut a fresh track, stayed in the area, after a while a bird gobbled, and he then came in and got shot.

I didn't do much track stomping the past 4 days.... I covered 25 miles walking in 3 different counties, and only cut one fresh track :(

Bone Collector

I ain't gonna lie. I went scouting yesterday. I was on private first (no one else is supposed to be there) so I just looked around and made mental notes. On public I stepped on every one. Never heard of this before. Didn't mess with the droppings, though.

you didn't tell me to step in the poop and since i was taught at a young age not to I avoided stepping in it. 😂

Latest posts