How many of y'all would shoot a jake?

Ckirk4bama

I know a lot of you guys are above shooting young bucks, and the more I hunt the note picky I am. I have yet to kill a turkey or really see one since I have been turkey hunting. Today I had five jakes come in about forty yards from me. I didn't shoot but now I'm thinking that I may have made a mistake. Ehich leaves me to my question which of you guys would should a jake?

REN

whatever makes you happy bud thats what its all about. I dont personally care to do it these days but got no issue with it.

i wont say ill never shoot another one either, if i was out on public land with the right buddies and the hunt was just that good i may do it again someday.

catman529

I don't want to shoot one this year, but I have in the past and if my season isn't going too well then ill gladly pop ones noggin to fill the tag and put meat in the freezer. Like REN said its all up to you. If you've never killed one before then shoot the next one you see. My first was a jake and I will never forget the hunt.

DKO77

I always say I won't but every time I get the chance, I pull the trigger - it all depends on what gets your heart pumping. O and i'm on a 4 year run of bad luck so all beards beware !!!

Rockhound

I had never killed one until 3 yrs ago and I broke a 4 yr dry spell with a Jake. I may outgrow it one day again but for now ill shoot one to get #1 for the year and hunt longbeards the rest of the year

Gravey

Years ago when i first started turkey hunting i did several times and if I was just starting out again like you are now I'd shoot one or three in a heartbeat. If my son wants to shoot one I'll let him. On average they're just not that wary and tend to be easier to kill. At the end of the day they're legal so if you want to shoot one then do it and be happy about it. Good luck!

deerhunter10

I won't. But if it makes you happy then kill it if you won't be satisfied with it wait for a long beard. Sooner or later you will have an opportunity at a long beard. I would guess at least.

AT Hiker

You know this is almost a philosophical question, why? On my family farm, I would not shoot a Jake and if your a newbie I would encourage you to wait until the last minute to shoot a Jake, mainly because we have a good thing going on there and its about as close to perfect as I could imagine (meaning, plenty of vocalization and a 1/2 dozen 2+ year old birds or older to hunt, all on 80 acres). Public land, it depends on how hard I work for it...this is completely contradictory to my thoughts on my own farm but the thrill you get out of actually hunting hard is so much more than the "trophy" thrill you get. Dont get me wrong, Im not saying I trophy turkey hunt, I just like hunting mature Toms while they are strutting and gobbling for dominance...Jakes typically lack most of that.

Ckirk4bama

Well I have had one other very short (literally 1or 2 second encounter) with a turkey before today they acted really wierd ie: wanted no part of the hen decoy that was 10 feet in front of them. There was another bird gobbling about what I estimate to be 100 yards away and you could tell they wanted no part of it. Heck only one of them gobbled in about a ten minute time frame.

PalsPal

I have in the past, and I might again in the future. Never say never.

Hunt to please yourself and no one else. The jake you kill this year could be the silent two yr old next year that just slips in without gobbling. What's the difference in "thrill" factor?

Congrats on the exciting hunt!

Bone Collector

There is no such thing as being "above" shooting any type of animal, regardless of size or age. There is legal and illegal and that is it. After that it is just personal preference. Make sure you're legal and do what makes you happy.

I like to eat deer and turkey, so I will shoot young bucks or a Jake if I want/need the meat. If I have plenty I let them walk.

Latest posts