How Many Boats Have You Owned

rsimms

I'm stealing this topic off another forum because I thought it was interesting.

How many boats have you owned, in how many years?

Assuming it does NOT include canoes, I've owned five motorized vessels in about 50 years.

1) The first was a 10-foot jon I bought for a whopping $20. I put a used 5 HP Johnson outboard on it. This boat was usually referred to by my friends as the "Great Green Submarine" because my friend and I sunk it once, nose-dived it (like a submarine) into the lake when we overloaded it going duck hunting. It was 20 degrees so we were lucky to have survived. I kept it through college, until about 1976. When it died I had nothing but canoes until 1978.

2) I bought a used 16-foot bass boat (don't even remember the brand) w/90 HP (I think) Evinrude. Kept it until 1985.

3) I duck hunted a LOT so I needed a boat I could fish out of AND use duck hunting. I traded the bass boat for a new 16-foot commercial width Alumacraft with a 40 HP Mariner. I bought a Mariner because all the commercial fishermen I checked as a game warden ALWAYS ran Mariners at that time. I painted the boat camouflaged. It was my longest boat ownership, 21 years. In the early years my daughters loved it. When they became teenagers, they wouldn't go to the lake with me for fear of being seen in it by some of their friends. :)

4) When I decided to start guiding in 2006, I needed a real "fishing boat." I sold the duck boat and bought a new 16-foot G3 w/60 HP Yamaha.

5) In 2013 upgraded to a new 18-foot G3 Angler 170 (V-bottom) w/90 HP Yamaha. Now I am "semi-retiring" from guiding. Barring unforeseen circumstances, it is likely to own this one until I die.

No photos of boat #1, but here's the others (and a couple of the canoes):

boat2.jpgboat3.jpgboat3a.jpgboat4.jpgboat5.jpgcanoe1.jpgcanoe2.jpg

Last edited:

mike243

5 not counting the inflatable toon, 10' v bottom and think it was a 3 hp Johnson with gas tank mounted on it, 10' flat bottom with a 5hp mariner and wish I still had that 1, 14' fiberglass runabout with a 30hp Johnson, 14' aluminum runabout with a 30hp Johnson, 18' pontoon with a 50hp merc I still have. I have no plans to buy another at 61 + years of age

gasman

Probably 8-10. 4 of them being 14' Jon boats with 9.9hp to 15hp motors. I had a 2004 15' Jon boat with a 25hp Mercury (I miss that one) great boat for smaller waters. My first bigger boat was a 17' Bass America with 40hp Yamaha. Now I have my current boat and also my favorite of all time. "The Catfishkiller" 18-60 G3 with a 70hp Yamaha. I have set it up to where I can easily swap from crappie to catfish to duck hunting.

Attachments

• D9E7D134-CA54-40B9-8EB2-07ED98C2237B.jpeg
    D9E7D134-CA54-40B9-8EB2-07ED98C2237B.jpeg
    493.7 KB · Views: 115

moondawg

Good topic!

My first boat was a 14' jonboat by Appleby. I bought it for maybe $200 from a family friend. I was always hesitant about getting a boat, because I'd need a trailer and a motor. But in talking with friend, I realized I just needed a trolling motor, as I preferred fishing smaller waters with minimal boat traffic. And I didn't need a trailier, I just needed rope to tie the boat down in the bed of the truck and put a red flag at the end of it. I even had a couple of seats clamped on to the bench. I did all that, and liked it. After a while, loading the boat got to be a hassle. And paying the registration from an already strapped budget didn't help, either. Eventually I stopped using it and sold it after 3 or 4 years.

A few years later, I got a kayak. It was a 10' Perception Pescador. I got it specifically for fishing. I spent quite a bit of time on the water in it, as it helped cope with the divorce. It was lighter than the jonboat I had, and easier to load. I just tied it down in the back of the truck, put a red rag at the end of it and never had any problems. My only complaint was that the seat wasn't very comfortable. There was not padding in the seat, and no back support. After about an hour or two, I HAD to get out for a bit. I kept it when I moved to Florida, and went kayaking there as well. I sold it before I moved back to TN, as it was one less thing I'd have to move, and I was planning on upgrading anyways. I had that kayak for about 3 years.

In Florida, I bought a tandem kayak for me and the gf. We only went kayaking a handful of times, and it wasn't enjoyable for me. I like being in my own kayak. I had it for about a year before I sold it.

When I moved back to TN I bought a kayak, a 12' Perception Pescador Pro, which was an upgrade from the 10' Pescador. This model had an elevated stadium style mesh seat. I actually tried out this model in Florida at a kayak demo, and liked it. I thought to myself, "I have found my new kayak." So when I got back home to TN, I went to Dunham's Sports, and saw one on sale for about $499. The only (minor) gripe was that it was red/black. I wanted the green/orange kayak, which was the color of my 10' kayak, but they didn't have any. Red/Black wasn't exactly the color I wanted, but the price was one I couldn't turn down, so I bought it. I've had it for 4 years and have no plans to get rid of it.
20221011_183347.jpg

Kirk

I bought my first boat new in 1989. It was small Stratos 256V with a 50 HP. It was bullet proof. Had it for 20 years with no problems. Then I got the itch to buy a boat with a much larger engine. Sold my little 256V to Tophat on here in 2010 or so.

The second boat was a used Stratos 285 PE with a Johnson FICHT 175. BIGGEST mistake I ever made on a boat. That FICHT was a piece of crap. Finally got it straightened out and running right, sold it.

3rd boat was a used 1999 Stratos PRO Elite Dual Console. This one had a Mercury 200 on it and it ran decent but had issues too. After a couple of engine rebuilds I sold it.

I went boatless for 5 years. The thought of owning another money pit kept me off the water for years.

Then I got the fever last summer and ordered a brand new, full warranty Xpress X-19 with a brand new full warranty, Yamaha 200 HP 4 stroke. If this damn boat tears up, blows a motor, or gives me any problem what so ever I am out of the boat owning business.

rsimms

I bought my first boat new in 1989. It was small Stratos 256V with a 50 HP. It was bullet proof. Had it for 20 years with no problems. Then I got the itch to buy a boat with a much larger engine. Sold my little 256V to Tophat on here in 2010 or so.

The second boat was a used Stratos 285 PE with a Johnson FICHT 175. BIGGEST mistake I ever made on a boat. That FICHT was a piece of crap. Finally got it straightened out and running right, sold it.

3rd boat was a used 1999 Stratos PRO Elite Dual Console. This one had a Mercury 200 on it and it ran decent but had issues too. After a couple of engine rebuilds I sold it.

I went boatless for 5 years. The thought of owning another money pit kept me off the water for years.

Then I got the fever last summer and ordered a brand new, full warranty Xpress X-19 with a brand new full warranty, Yamaha 200 HP 4 stroke. If this damn boat tears up, blows a motor, or gives me any problem what so ever I am out of the boat owning business.
I predict it will be flawless... at least the Yamaha. If it's not, you'll be the exception to the rule and yea, probably should be done with boats. ;)

RUGER

2-Step Enabled

1985 bass tracker guide v16
Motor crapped out the first year.
Replaced it with a 2014 Yamaha 25 hp.
Had it from 2013 till 2022.

2023 bass tracker pro 170 with a 50 hp mercury.

That will probably be my final boat.

Smo

14' vee bottom / 9.9 Chrysler
16' tri hull runabout /85 Johnson
16' Alweld flat bottom. / 30 hp Evinrude
24' Sweetwater pontoon /140 Evinrude
14' Alumaweld flat bottom / 30 Johnson
17' Tracker/ 40 Mercury
1852 Seaark / 50 Mariner
1885 MV PolarKraft / 90 Yamaha

Last edited:

DoubleRidge

1550 Glasstream 75 Yamaha
285 Stratos 175 Envinrude
TR21 Triton 225 Johnson HO
Then next came a land purchase
TR21 was sold with the funds going towards a John Deere 5103 with 512 loader. May get another boat someday after I retire but currently without one.

Crow Terminator

I'm up to 2 and fixing to be #3. Unless you count the 14' jon boat...it was more of a glorified kayak though.

First was an '89 Vision 20' with a 200 Evinrude on it.

Second is the 2021 Tracker 190.

I'm getting ready to sell or trade it for a Supreme L60.

WTM

my cousin and i built our first boat in 84. a 16ft brailing boat. we ran it until 86 and made enough money to pay for college. after i was discharged from the army i went in with my brother tournament fishing, we bought a skeeter 200zx and i bought him out a couple of years later. sold it when my son started playing baseball and football, 10 years of very little fishing. had a 12 ft v bottom that i used in the bottoms some. sold it and bought a tracker pt175tf in 2014, would rather had a pt190 but wouldnt fit in my garage, lol.

Sam Davis

First was a 1993 Astro S17 B with a 115 Mercury. That was a good boat never had any issues. Sold it and bought a new 2019 Nitro Z17. So far no problems with the Nitro.
I really like the 4 stroke engine on the newer boats.

Spurhunter

1978 Polarcraft 16 foot / 50hp Mercury
1999 G3 Pro 175 / 60hp Yamaha
2001 G3 Pro 175 / 60hp Yamaha
1965 Alumacraft 14V / 25hp Mercury
2001 Xpress 1650DB / 50hp Mercury
2002 Triton 176 Magnum / 115hp Johnson
2005 Xpress X19 / 175hp Yamaha

plus a Pond Prowler and several 14 foot jon boats.

scn

Eight not counting the canoes. I have had at least one for the past 57 years.

1. Sear's Gamefisher (12' fiberglass bath tub) I got from my Dad at age 13 for completing my Eagle Scout award instead of a trip to Philmont Scout ranch. The deal was that I had to buy the motor. I really don't think he thought I could do that.. I wore a push lawnmower out that summer and found a little 6hp motor on sale. That boat lead to a pile of great memories in fishing and duck hunting. It is only by God's Good Grace I survived a couple of those trips.

2. 14' flat bottom. Upgraded to a 9.9 Evenrude at some point.

3. 16' wide flatbottom. Ran a 25 hp Evenrude for a while, and ended up with a 60 hp Mariner.

4. 18' Triton alum. bass boat. Sat under the carport and was barely used. I got bit by the fly rod bug shortly after that purchase.

5. 13' Ghenooe. Worked on the Caney but was under-powered.

6. 16' Riverhawk-still in the yard

7. 16' F&F allweld. Awesome boat with a 40hp Yama on it. Ruger ran it a year or so.

8. Ranger flats boat-still have. A little heavy for poling the flats, but, a decent, safe boat for fishing inshore on the Gulf. The previous owner had well over 100 tarpon to the side of it while he owned it. I'm still looking for my first in it, but, maybe this summer.... It has seen a bunch of bull reds in it the past few years.

Last edited:

Smo

my cousin and i built our first boat in 84. a 16ft brailing boat. we ran it until 86 and made enough money to pay for college. after i was discharged from the army i went in with my brother tournament fishing, we bought a skeeter 200zx and i bought him out a couple of years later. sold it when my son started playing baseball and football, 10 years of very little fishing. had a 12 ft v bottom that i used in the bottoms some. sold it and bought a tracker pt175tf in 2014, would rather had a pt190 but wouldnt fit in my garage, lol.
I paid for the 16' Alweld & the 24' Sweetwater pontoon by picking big lake boards up in NW Alabama in one Summer…👍

Snowwolfe

I think 12-13 total. First one was 1976. Includes small Jon's and inflatables. The nicer of the boats include
18 foot river sled with 200 hp jet
23 Wooldridge Alaskan with 200 hp prop, used this to run 600 miles in each direction on the Yukon chasing moose
25 foot Thunderjet, inboard 496 ci jet, great rig, averaged 1 to 1.5 mpg
24 foot Sea Sport ocean boat, used this for fishing the ocean chasing salmon and halibut in Alaska, power was an inboard 496 V8 rated at 375 hp, my favorite boat of my life
Current boat is a 19 Alumacraft semi V with 200 hp Yamaha. Owned this since moving to TN. Great boat and does everything we need it to do.

WTM

I paid for the 16' Alweld & the 24' Sweetwater pontoon by picking big lake boards up in NW Alabama in one Summer…👍
we pulled in $320-360 per day, whether we were pulling brails or borrowing a diving rig for ni****heads. when we toe dug for lake shells(3 ridge or maple leafs) maybe $100-150.

good money in the early 80's working a couple days a week.

Smo

Cleaned boards outta Bear Creek average #2 each ..
In 1991 I think was, when they reached their peek in price…

We had a couple of local buyers, but they all sold too Camden..

fullstream

12 ft johnboat had a 12x transom trolling motor
17ft McKee craft with a 115 mariner I bought new I fished it out of Charleston. I was young and dumb then. Fished that boat out 50-60 miles in gulfstram to many times to remember. The boat was named "fullstream" as we always ran full-steam to the gulf stream. Where my screen name was born.
25ft contender with 250 2 stroke Yamaha. Bought it with my best friend and his dad. Could have never afforded a boat like that on my own. Caught a lot of tuna, wahoo & grouper. Fished the local SKA tournaments one year.
2019 nautic star 227 bay bout with a 200 Yamaha 4stroke bought new "Fullstream 2" fished mostly in Venice. Mostly inshore chasing reds & specks. Fished offshore many times when the weather co-operated.

Currently looking to get a 17-18' v-bottom for small lakes and big enough for Erie on flat days as I live in N Indiana now.

Latest posts