How hard is it to draw an Iowa tag???

Bushape

And once you draw a tag do you stand a good chance of drawing every year thereafter as long as you apply? Sorry, never had any dealings with drawed hunts but from what I understand Iowa is tough. Thanks.

Shady

If wanting to hunt the rut, bow tag, I would simply buy points until year 4. Then try to draw in year 4, but prepare to have to wait until year 5. This is based off hunting Zone 5. Other zones are less desirable and have less applications.

Late Muzzleloader tag is usually 2 years, but wherever your going better have a guaranteed food source.

I remember when 2 years would get a bow tag (around $300ish), much more pressure now. I'm able to hunt two heavily managed private farms fortunately. I'd pay $1000 every year if I could draw.

It's something I'd recommend at least once. It could be considered expensive if you had to figure total tag fees and outfitter price as well.

Tnshooter15

About 7 or 8 years ago I got drawn 2 years in a row. First for muzzleloader and second year for shotgun. The guy's farms I hunted on had guys that drew every year

tree_ghost

What if i buy a farm in iowa and live in TN? Would i still have to enter a draw?
I think you have to have proof of residency in the state for a certain amount of time to get a resident tag but I think you still have to draw if I remember correctly ( had a resident of Iowa I worked with a few years back)

redblood

What if i buy a farm in iowa and live in TN? Would i still have to enter a draw?
I think you have to have proof of residency in the state for a certain amount of time to get a resident tag but I think you still have to draw if I remember correctly ( had a resident of Iowa I worked with a few years back)
Well that would suck. Owning a farm you arent allowed to hunt. I am considering buying a small piece out of state as an investment. Most of my focus is in southern illinois

th88

I didn't draw a southern zone archery tag with 4 points this year....So with future point creep, you looking at 5-6 points for a south zone archery tag.

Joe2Kool

I've hunted zone 4 archery in 2009, 2012, 2016, and was drawn this year. But, we didn't apply last year. Just bought a point.
Depending on the zone, you can draw an archery tag every year. But as mentioned earlier, expect about every 4th year for zone 4&5.
There is a good draw odds report on the Iowa DNR website.

Latest posts