How does your turkey gun stack up against these light-weights?

PossumSlayer

2-Step Enabled
I know I'm new to turkey hunting….. I have no recollection of recoil shooting 3" turkey loads out of a 12 ga while shooting a turkey. And the bird weighed way more than the gun carrying it back up the mountain

TITANSFAN2104

2-Step Enabled
I have the tristar 20 gauge over under that they gave away at the nwtf convention a couple years back and that thing is around 5 lbs and will put it on you with these 2.75" tss handloads!!!

Rancocas

My "turkey gun" is an ancient Western Field single shot 12 gauge with a built-in full choke. I don't know for certain, but I would guess it weighs in the neighborhood of 5 1/2 pounds. I prefer #5 shot in the standard 2 3/4" shot shells.
My other turkey gun is a replica of a trade gun from the 1740-1760 era. It is a 20 gauge flintlock with a cylinder bore in a 42 inch long barrel. It weighs just a tad over 5 pounds. I load it with 70 grains of 3F black powder and an equal volume of #6 shot.
30 yards is maximum range for me with both of these guns. And - that's the challenge and the thrill - get 'em in close.
Flintlocks like this have been bringing in the game for hundreds of years. As for the 12 gauge single shot; also a game getter for over 100 years. One well-placed shot is all it takes. I don't need, don't want anything more.

Latest posts