Hot Tom on June 12th

Levee Jumper

There is an old double bearded tom behind the house that has been around for at least 3 years now. He always shows up in early spring with 8-12 hens. I've seen him countless times since March but last saw him strutting with a single hen about a week ago. I figured the turkeys were completely done but on Saturday June 12th, he was gobbling his head off at 2:00 P.M. when it was 92 Deg. in the shade.

I have no doubt that they will breed every hen available as long as they are alive to do so.

megalomaniac

They should have enough testosterone to produce viable sperm and the desire to mate until fall equinox. The limiting factor to successful matings is that hens will quit ovulating well before the toms are ready to quit.

woodsman04

They molt about a month after the summer solstice. They aren't fertile after that. But yes absolutely right now they can still go, all there has to be is a hen that's willing.
I just assume by the end of May they just give up on gobbling to attract hens because it doesn't work.

tickweed

There is an old double bearded tom behind the house that has been around for at least 3 years now. He always shows up in early spring with 8-12 hens. I've seen him countless times since March but last saw him strutting with a single hen about a week ago. I figured the turkeys were completely done but on Saturday June 12th, he was gobbling his head off at 2:00 P.M. when it was 92 Deg. in the shade.

I have no doubt that they will breed every hen available as long as they are alive to do so.
Well, can you blame him? LOL

Huntaholic

They should have enough testosterone to produce viable sperm and the desire to mate until fall equinox. The limiting factor to successful matings is that hens will quit ovulating well before the toms are ready to quit.
That doesn't just apply to turkeys unfortunately. :(