Food Plots Hot, dry spell

BSK

Those few scattered storms are actually from the moisture pouring up through New Mexico from Mexico. Amazing how a stream of atmospheric moisture can stretch that far.

TheLBLman

Those few scattered storms are actually from the moisture pouring up through New Mexico from Mexico.
But isn't it still the "lake effect" that "tips" the precipitation (as happened yesterday)?
The area I was watching basically just hung over the Paris Landing area, steadily raining pretty hard for maybe 15+ minutes, then went essentially nowhere.

There was another cell yesterday after that seemed to pop up around Reelfoot Lake, and held out for a few miles heading east, then dissipated.

BSK

But isn't it still the "lake effect" that "tips" the precipitation (as happened yesterday)?
The area I was watching basically just hung over the Paris Landing area, steadily raining pretty hard for maybe 15+ minutes, then went essentially nowhere.

There was another cell yesterday after that seemed to pop up around Reelfoot Lake, and held out for a few miles heading east, then dissipated.
Absolutely, but the moisture necessary to create those storms came from Mexico. The instability/updraft was possible due to air rising from the lakes, just as the "Heat Island Effect" will cause storms to pop up (or intensify) over major cities in the summer.

BSK

Speaking of the "Heat Island Effect", it's noteworthy how often it rains in Memphis, but doesn't in the surrounding area.
Nashville produces a massive Heat Island Effect. Not only do storms suddenly pop up over downtown, but any storm that moves in suddenly explodes when it hits downtown.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
Not a drop here. My beans are drying up. Corn looks good and putting on ears, hop the next rain cycle predictions are right.

BSK

JCDEERMAN,

I'm VERY impressed by the drought tolerance of the Sunn Hemp. Also it's ability to grow in very poor-soil environments. Below is a picture of one of my plots in Sunn Hemp this morning, planted June 6, got 0.66" rain on it that day, not a drop since, through all this heat. Plus it's in a plot with such poor soil it wouldn't grow Buckwheat last summer. Doing fairly well considering.

Attachments

• plots31.jpg
    plots31.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 48

JCDEERMAN

JCDEERMAN,

I'm VERY impressed by the drought tolerance of the Sunn Hemp. Also it's ability to grow in very poor-soil environments. Below is a picture of one of my plots in Sunn Hemp this morning, planted June 6, got 0.66" rain on it that day, not a drop since, through all this heat. Plus it's in a plot with such poor soil it wouldn't grow Buckwheat last summer. Doing fairly well considering.
Looks good! I bought buckwheat and sunn hemp to combine in a mix to drill (less poundage per acre) as to broadcasting. 20lbs buckwheat / 10 lbs sunn hemp per acre. When finishing off leveling the plots and getting them ready. I knew we would run out of time. So we box-bladed and disked, then broadcasted. 30 lbs an acre total is light, but $925 for 30 acres is rough!!! Haven't been to ours in 3 weeks, but last reports (last weekend), buckwheat was a foot tall. I was told this afternoon from a buddy that lives close to our place, we had a flood of rain. I won't make it back until mid July when I put cameras out, but will report back. Hoping the buckwheat grows and matures and a second crop grows until we terminate for fall crops. No clue on the sunn hemp, but will let you know. We want thatch!

BSK

Looks good! I bought buckwheat and sunn hemp to combine in a mix to drill (less poundage per acre) as to broadcasting. 20lbs buckwheat / 10 lbs sunn hemp per acre. When finishing off leveling the plots and getting them ready. I knew we would run out of time. So we box-bladed and disked, then broadcasted. 30 lbs an acre total is light, but $925 for 30 acres is rough!!! Haven't been to ours in 3 weeks, but last reports (last weekend), buckwheat was a foot tall. I was told this afternoon from a buddy that lives close to our place, we had a flood of rain. I won't make it back until mid July when I put cameras out, but will report back. Hoping the buckwheat grows and matures and a second crop grows until we terminate for fall crops. No clue on the sunn hemp, but will let you know. We want thatch!
I will be very curious to see how tall the Sunn Hemp grows in such poor soil and low soil moisture. I plan on just mowing it down and turning it under in late summer/early fall.

tellico4x4

Latest posts