Hot and Slow but Saw Deer

Redfred16

Yesterday had to be the hottest set I ever had. I know there was no true scent control cause I could feel it rolling down my back all evening. I think even the squrriel activity was down.

However I did have a doe and button buck come in. The silly yearling was almost right under me before I heard or saw him. I saw the large doe trailing behind him, but she knew something wasn't right and took a wide angle around me, I did manage to get my bow off the hanger and hoped for the shot. But she was a wise one, never giving me the angle and when she was broadside, there were trees or branches between us. Finally after playing this game for about 20 minutes she must have caught my scent, gave a few stomps and bounded off into the thicket. The button buck trotted after her and a few seconds later the entire woods could hear her blowing.

Hunting in new terrian, in this weather trying new techniques I consider that a great hunt. While I'll be in WI too late for thier rut and leaving TN before thier(I know this couldn't have happened at a better time, right?) I should be able to get into one of my old stands for WI's short gun season and get some meat in the freezer.

Latest posts